Can't delete image backup - says it's in use.

Author
Virginia McGovern
Talented Member
Talented Member (101 reputation)Talented Member (101 reputation)Talented Member (101 reputation)Talented Member (101 reputation)Talented Member (101 reputation)Talented Member (101 reputation)Talented Member (101 reputation)Talented Member (101 reputation)Talented Member (101 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have a problem with an old image backup, MR can't delete it yes I have no problem with the later incrementals.
Trying the old fashioned way of turning off image guardian & deleting from the drive offers that it's open under system yet I can't find where it is open; I've checked virtual machine (​Hyper V) & closed what was listed but error is still occurring.
Any insight would be welcome.​
Tia,​

​​

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)
I believe Hyper-V can lock virtual hard disk files for VMs that are "registered" with it, even if the VM isn't running.  I'm not certain and can't check at the moment, but if you were using viBoot for that image and that VM still exists in Hyper-V, try deleting it.  Otherwise, do you have that image mounted for browsing?  Would simply restarting this system be an option to see if that clears up whatever is currently trying to access that file?

Virginia McGovern
Virginia McGovern
Talented Member
Talented Member (101 reputation)Talented Member (101 reputation)Talented Member (101 reputation)Talented Member (101 reputation)Talented Member (101 reputation)Talented Member (101 reputation)Talented Member (101 reputation)Talented Member (101 reputation)Talented Member (101 reputation)
Checked ViBoot but nothing there, in the end I restarted the PC & I’ve now managed to delete the backup.
Thanks for your help jphughan

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...