Reflect 7.2 roadmap

Author
dbminter
Expert
Expert (615 reputation)Expert (615 reputation)Expert (615 reputation)Expert (615 reputation)Expert (615 reputation)Expert (615 reputation)Expert (615 reputation)Expert (615 reputation)Expert (615 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Is there a roadmap announced for intended features of Reflect 7.2 beyond the updated Rescue Media creation?  I've not seen anything else about any supposed announcements for what 7.2 might contain beyond that.

Thanks!

Froggie
Froggie
Master
Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)
...and I don't think you will.  It is not Macrium's style.
dbminter
dbminter
Expert
Expert (615 reputation)Expert (615 reputation)Expert (615 reputation)Expert (615 reputation)Expert (615 reputation)Expert (615 reputation)Expert (615 reputation)Expert (615 reputation)Expert (615 reputation)
Yeah, I don't recall seeing much such actions in the past on Macrium's part.  It's understandable though.  You announce you're going to do X but you decide to abandon or you must delay X for whatever reason, and you run the risk of annoying people who really wanted to see X implemented.

Froggie
Froggie
Master
Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)
...and, as we know,  the "Continuous Incrementals" feature was just such an item.

I still believe product roadmaps are an important function, and that most of their input should come from product users, at least at the idea level as opposed to implementation.  They do get some of that from their WISH LIST area but it would be nice to see the decisions being made for a product (especially as far as active development is concerned) prior to the actual development being done.

I guess we can always hope...

Froggie
Froggie
Master
dbminter - 20 September 2018 1:17 PM
Yeah, I don't recall seeing much such actions in the past on Macrium's part.  It's understandable though.  You announce you're going to do X but you decide to abandon or you must delay X for whatever reason, and you run the risk of annoying people who really wanted to see X implemented.

Of course users will be disappointed if a product feature is delayed or cancelled, but an explanation of what or why may have caused that product change usually goes a long way towards mitigating that disappointment.  It's the "Silence of the Lambs" that causes users to always ask... "What the heck happened to <previously announced feature>?"

...and as far as roadmaps are concerned, you can always use the "competitive advantage" argument against releasing important product development information (when product developers use that excuse <Macrium hasn't to date> it's usually bogus), MIG for instance... but look what has happened to that feature since its release.  It works well as soon as everyone understands it and how it really works but has caused issues with updates, user file mgmt, etc... again, most of those due to incomplete knowledge of the feature itself.

I still consider product roadmaps to be important, especially when it comes to users understanding what eventually will actually hit the street, and I believe will lead to less user experienced problems as well.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)
I have no inside knowledge here, but I'm betting/hoping we'll see improved update functionality, e.g. Reflect checking for updates even when only running in the background or possibly an update service completely independent of Reflect's job engine that can trigger system tray notifications when updates are available. Maybe even email notifications of available updates to help people who support Reflect installations on systems where interactive logons are rare.  After the CBT corruption issue, Macrium said they had been planning to improve the update functionality anyway and that they had accelerated those plans in light of that issue.

Edited 20 September 2018 3:22 PM by jphughan
dbminter
dbminter
Expert
I, for one, would like an independent update service for Reflect.  Once, years ago, somehow, Reflect decided to disable the check for updates once a day that I had set as the default.  The options box had become unchecked on its own.  I would never have known there was an update if I didn't on the 2nd of every month do a check of various web sites for monthly updates, which includes checking Reflect for new versions.

Edited 20 September 2018 3:32 PM by dbminter
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...