Can drivers be inserted into a backup image?

Author
AHansen
New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello –
I’m preparing to load a Win7 image on my wife’s computer. I’m building the source of the image from a fresh W7 install. I’m building it my custom build and will deploying it on a 5 mo. old Lenovo ideapad 320-15IKB (and, yes, its Win7 on Kaby Lake but that’s for a different forum).

Obviously the drivers needed for the Lenovo will be different from those on my custom build. I can use diam++ to export the drivers on the Lenovo to a standard windows file structure (sample’s from my machine):

Is it possible to “insert” (I believe current “geekspeek” is slipstream I think to intimidate non-techies) the drivers into the backup image after it is created?

Thanx in advance for your time and expertise,
Art H.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)
Images are read-only.  However, Reflect has a feature called ReDeploy that is specifically meant to allow restoring an image onto dissimilar hardware.  It handles adjusting/importing the drivers necessary to allow the system to boot, and then you would install drivers for any devices that aren't boot-critical after you got into Windows.  In fact, if you won't be sysprepping your image before you capture it with Reflect, you might need ReDeploy even if you DID preload all necessary drivers for the new system before capturing the image, because for certain boot processes, it's not just about having the correct driver available on the system; it's about the drivers that the system is configured to actually load.  In some cases if the system loads an inappropriate driver (or fails to load an appropriate driver), the system will just throw a boot error code or a blue screen rather than looking for another suitable driver in its library.  ReDeploy deals with cases like that. More info about it here: https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Re-deploying+Windows+to+new+hardware+using+Macrium+ReDeploy

Edited 17 September 2018 9:05 PM by jphughan
AHansen
AHansen
New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)
jphughan - 17 September 2018 8:59 PM
Images are read-only.  However, Reflect has a feature called ReDeploy that is specifically meant to allow restoring an image onto dissimilar hardware.  It handles adjusting/importing the drivers necessary to allow the system to boot, and then you would install drivers for any devices that aren't boot-critical after you got into Windows.  In fact, if you won't be sysprepping your image before you capture it with Reflect, you might need ReDeploy even if you DID preload all necessary drivers for the new system before capturing the image, because for certain boot processes, it's not just about having the correct driver available on the system; it's about the drivers that the system is configured to actually load.  In some cases if the system loads an inappropriate driver (or fails to load an appropriate driver), the system will just throw a boot error code or a blue screen rather than looking for another suitable driver in its library.  ReDeploy deals with cases like that. More info about it here: https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Re-deploying+Windows+to+new+hardware+using+Macrium+ReDeploy

Thank-you sir!  That's  what I needed to know.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...