Multiple back-upd:

Author
Terry Southgate
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello: I'm a fairly recent user and have been having a problem, in that when when creating a back up, I end up with several full backups and thusly filling up my all of my storage devices, with so many backups? Ive been using MR for a while and this seems to be a new problem. Please let me know what i'm doing wrong. Thanks,

Terry Southgate.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)
First make sure your schedule is configured as you intend by going to the Backup Definition Files tab, right-clicking your job, and selecting Schedule. If that looks good, go to the Scheduled Backups tab and make sure there aren’t any “rogue” scheduled tasks there. If that looks good too, can post the job logs that were generated by each of the jobs that ran on a particular occasion when you were only expecting one? Make sure to remove your license key from the bottom of the log, and possibly any email addresses if you use email notifications.
Drac144
Drac144
Expert
Expert (649 reputation)Expert (649 reputation)Expert (649 reputation)Expert (649 reputation)Expert (649 reputation)Expert (649 reputation)Expert (649 reputation)Expert (649 reputation)Expert (649 reputation)
You can limit the backups using parameters in the backup definition file.  What are the dates on the backups?  Are they all the same date or are the dates consistent with your schedule?  Do you have backups scheduled to occur on a regular basis (daily, weekly, etc.)?  Your post did not give enough information for me to know whether there is a problem or what the problem is.

If you are scheduling backups to run on a regular basis but NOT deleting older backups, then your above situation is to be expected.  If you have multiple full backups on the same day, but you do not have that scheduled or did not do that manually - then that would be a problem.

On the 2nd page of the backup definition files, step 3 (retention rules) allows you to specify how many full backups to retain.  If the number of full backups exceed this number, older backups will be automatically deleted the next time a full backup runs.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...