Missing file in backup set but success reported?

Author
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Last night I had a consolidation failure occur with an error that at least one file was missing in the set.  All backups exist on the disk and have never been manually altered in any way, so I'm not sure why this is occurring, but of far greater concern to me is that the job was still deemed a success, even though this error if true means all of my backups on this disk beyond a certain point would be useless given that I use an Incrementals Forever with Synthetic Fulls strategy.  I discovered this only by accident because I logged into this machine to check Reflect for a completely unrelated reason.  Had I been relying on email notifications as I normally do, where I received a success notification, I might never have have never seen this -- and since this job log has the green success checkmark next to it under the Log tab like every other truly successful job, I have no quick and easy way to see whether this has been occurring elsewhere in my backups other than manually looking through every job log or paging through the Consolidate.log file under ProgramData, but the latter is not really a typical user solution.

I've seen consolidation failures for less serious reasons in the past, and that prompted a suggestion that Macrium address cases where the backup operation completes but something else went wrong by adding a "Completed with warnings" exit code, indicated with a yellow exclamation point, rather than the current options of only success or failure.  But if that's not feasible for some reason, then I believe a warning of this nature should cause the job to be evaluated as a failure.  This is very similar to the suggestion by @vsizikov in this thread, and in his case might have saved him from very nearly having lost all of his data over a long period of time. Screenshot:

Edited 13 September 2018 5:07 PM by jphughan
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Having gone through Consolidate.log, I found a few failures from several months back, but unfortunately I no longer have job logs going back that far, so I can't dig further into that.  But I'm seeing that on the Wednesday disk in my rotation, both my OS partition image and Data partition F&F jobs have seen consolidation failures on the last two times those jobs have been attempted to that disk. I've attached the log entries from those 4 job executions below, with headings added over each job's log entries for clarity.  I'm open to replacing the disk if this suggests a hardware issue, but again I'm more concerned that I only became aware of this by happenstance.

(UPDATE: Reflect was taking forever to launch while this disk was attached, so I disconnected it and it returned to normal.  When I connected this Wednesday disk to another PC, it came up as a completely uninitialized disk, and even trying to set up a new partition on it through Diskpart failed with a "fatal hardware error" message.  So that disk is now trashed.)

Attachments
Consolidation Failures.txt (1 view, 8.00 KB)
Edited 13 September 2018 5:46 PM by jphughan
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)
Group: Administrators
jphughan - 13 September 2018 4:43 PM
Last night I had a consolidation failure occur with an error that at least one file was missing in the set.  All backups exist on the disk and have never been manually altered in any way, so I'm not sure why this is occurring, but of far greater concern to me is that the job was still deemed a success, even though this error if true means all of my backups on this disk beyond a certain point would be useless given that I use an Incrementals Forever with Synthetic Fulls strategy.  I discovered this only by accident because I logged into this machine to check Reflect for a completely unrelated reason.  Had I been relying on email notifications as I normally do, where I received a success notification, I might never have have never seen this -- and since this job log has the green success checkmark next to it under the Log tab like every other truly successful job, I have no quick and easy way to see whether this has been occurring elsewhere in my backups other than manually looking through every job log or paging through the Consolidate.log file under ProgramData, but the latter is not really a typical user solution.

I've seen consolidation failures for less serious reasons in the past, and that prompted a suggestion that Macrium address cases where the backup operation completes but something else went wrong by adding a "Completed with warnings" exit code, indicated with a yellow exclamation point, rather than the current options of only success or failure.  But if that's not feasible for some reason, then I believe a warning of this nature should cause the job to be evaluated as a failure.  This is very similar to the suggestion by @vsizikov in this thread, and in his case might have saved him from very nearly having lost all of his data over a long period of time. Screenshot:

Thanks for posting and for your investigation. As you have noted, the target disk was having serious problems and the failure to save and recover the during consolidation was a symptom of this. 

You points are valid and we will ensure that an the option to fail non delta incrementals where the is a missing file is implemented in a future update. We will also work on providing a better warning mechanism for consolidation failures. 

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Edited 14 September 2018 10:58 AM by Nick
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...