Error: Maximum number of snapshots reached

Author
phrab
Talented Member
Talented Member (160 reputation)Talented Member (160 reputation)Talented Member (160 reputation)Talented Member (160 reputation)Talented Member (160 reputation)Talented Member (160 reputation)Talented Member (160 reputation)Talented Member (160 reputation)Talented Member (160 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I use "incrementals forever with synthetic full" & backup every day.  This morning, MR log showed an error (image attached).  The full image had today's date, but no incremental was created.  Could anyone explain why this error occurred & how to prevent it in the future?
Thank you in advance!

Phil
Windows 10 Pro
Windows XP- SP-3

Edited 8 September 2018 2:52 PM by phrab
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)
phrab
phrab
Talented Member
Talented Member (160 reputation)Talented Member (160 reputation)Talented Member (160 reputation)Talented Member (160 reputation)Talented Member (160 reputation)Talented Member (160 reputation)Talented Member (160 reputation)Talented Member (160 reputation)Talented Member (160 reputation)
jphughan - 8 September 2018 5:24 PM

As usual, thank you for your knowledge & reply.  However, I have way fewer than 64 snapshots on my WinXP system.  I have 12 system restore points + 1 full backup + 10 synthetic.  That would be only 23.  I did do a manual incremental backup, which completed easily, so it seems there must be something else going on.

Phil
Windows 10 Pro
Windows XP- SP-3

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)
Snapshots refer to VSS snapshots.  The number of VSS snapshots on the system has nothing to do with the number of Reflect backups you have, mostly because Reflect only ever creates temporary VSS snapshots for its purposes anyway -- but even if it used permanent VSS snapshots, the VSS snapshot used by a particular Reflect backup doesn't need to stay on the system for as long as you keep the backup.  System Restore points generate VSS snapshots, but there are other reasons VSS snapshots would get generated as well.  Try running "vssadmin list shadows /for=X:", substituting the drive letter you're trying to image where I wrote X.  That will show you how many snapshots you have.  Or try just running the command mentioned in the KB article and seeing whether backups work again, unless you want to use vssadmin to delete individual VSS snapshots

Edited 8 September 2018 7:13 PM by jphughan
phrab
phrab
Talented Member
jphughan - 8 September 2018 7:13 PM
Snapshots refer to VSS snapshots.  The number of VSS snapshots on the system has nothing to do with the number of Reflect backups you have, mostly because Reflect only ever creates temporary VSS snapshots for its purposes anyway -- but even if it used permanent VSS snapshots, the VSS snapshot used by a particular Reflect backup doesn't need to stay on the system for as long as you keep the backup.  System Restore points generate VSS snapshots, but there are other reasons VSS snapshots would get generated as well.  Try running "vssadmin list shadows /for=X:", substituting the drive letter you're trying to image where I wrote X.  That will show you how many snapshots you have.  Or try just running the command mentioned in the KB article and seeing whether backups work again, unless you want to use vssadmin to delete individual VSS snapshots

I've been trying to get a list of snapshots, using that command, but it doesn't give me the number of snapshots.  Am I
doing something wrong? (and I was able to create an incremental manually before trying to do anything else)

Phil
Windows 10 Pro
Windows XP- SP-3

Edited 8 September 2018 10:14 PM by phrab
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)
Group: Administrators
phrab - 8 September 2018 9:58 PM

I've been trying to get a list of snapshots, using that command, but it doesn't give me the number of snapshots.  Am I
doing something wrong?

You've missed the colon after '/for=C'.  The command should be:

vssadmin list shadows /for=c:

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Edited 8 September 2018 10:17 PM by Nick
phrab
phrab
Talented Member
Nick - 8 September 2018 10:16 PM

doing something wrong?

Thank you.  I tried it that way too (vssadmin list shadows /for=C: ) also (vssadmin list shadows /for=C:\)

Phil
Windows 10 Pro
Windows XP- SP-3

Edited 8 September 2018 10:23 PM by phrab
phrab
phrab
Talented Member

doing something wrong?

I just noticed that my volume shadow copy service is set to manual & was off after a reboot yesterday.  Should this service be set to manual or automatic?  Or does it make a difference?
Also, I only need to monitor my C:\ drive for system restore, not my external drive where I store backups, right

Phil
Windows 10 Pro
Windows XP- SP-3

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)
Group: Administrators
phrab - 8 September 2018 10:21 PM

doing something wrong?

Thank you.  I tried it that way too (vssadmin list shadows /for=C: ) also (vssadmin list shadows /for=C:\)

Hi

Sorry, I see that you're running XP and this command isn't supported. Just run:

vssadmin list shadows

I just noticed that my volume shadow copy service is set to manual & was off after a reboot yesterday. Should this service be set to manual or automatic?

The service should be set to manual. If it's set to automatic then that will be OK, 

Have you followed the XP KB link to delete restore points?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/555367

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Edited 8 September 2018 10:52 PM by Nick
phrab
phrab
Talented Member
Nick - 8 September 2018 10:49 PM
phrab - 8 September 2018 10:21 PM

doing something wrong?

Hi

Sorry, I see that you're running XP and this command isn't supported. Just run:

vssadmin list shadows

Have you followed the XP KB link to delete restore points?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/555367

Thank you again.  When I ran the command, it said there were no shadow copies present.  Although I haven't deleted any system restore points, I only have 12 of them and I was able to manually create an incremental without deleting any restore points.  Under services, volume shadow copy is set to manual & was off after I rebooted yesterday.  But it was off when I started MR to make a manual backup, so I don't know what that setting should be.

Phil
Windows 10 Pro
Windows XP- SP-3

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...