Create disk image without including contents

Author
BGregory
Talented Member
Talented Member (153 reputation)Talented Member (153 reputation)Talented Member (153 reputation)Talented Member (153 reputation)Talented Member (153 reputation)Talented Member (153 reputation)Talented Member (153 reputation)Talented Member (153 reputation)Talented Member (153 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
This isn't directly related to Reflect but there are a lot of savvy users here so I figured what the heck.  I use Reflect for all my imaging including file and folder backups.
I have two drives that that have multiple partitions and a lot of different folders with 1000s of files, which I do a file and folder backup.  I have my reasons for not creating an image.  I would like to create an image of these drives but not include any files.  I just want to save the "disk structure" so I can reconstruct the partition layout if I ever
have to replace the disk.  I know Reflect can't do this but does anyone know of program that can?

Bob Gregory

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)
I don't know of any, but at least as a last resort, you could manually assemble a diskpart script to keep on file so that you could later feed it to diskpart to create the desired partition layout.  Below is an example of a script to set up a disk for a standard UEFI-based installation that comes from Microsoft TechNet, just to give you an idea.  To run this, I just make sure the disk ID in the script is correct for the system I'm about to run it on and then run "diskpart /s MyScript.txt".  You could probably build a script that achieved your desired partition layout fairly easily.  The Set ID and Attrib commands below are typically only necessary for "special" partitions like the Windows Recovery partition and other cases where you might want certain things like not having a drive letter assigned by default, but if you'll be doing this for data-only drives, you wouldn't have to worry about that.

select disk 0
clean
convert gpt
create partition efi size=100
rem  ** NOTE: For Advanced Format 4Kn drives,
rem     change this value to size = 260 **
format quick fs=fat32 label="System"
assign letter="S"
create partition msr size=16
create partition primary
rem ==  b. Create space for the recovery tools ===
shrink minimum=750
format quick fs=ntfs label="Windows"
assign letter="W"
create partition primary
format quick fs=ntfs label="Recovery"
assign letter="R"
set id="de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac"
gpt attributes=0x8000000000000001
list volume
exit

BGregory
BGregory
Talented Member
Talented Member (153 reputation)Talented Member (153 reputation)Talented Member (153 reputation)Talented Member (153 reputation)Talented Member (153 reputation)Talented Member (153 reputation)Talented Member (153 reputation)Talented Member (153 reputation)Talented Member (153 reputation)
jphughan - 30 August 2018 2:46 PM
I don't know of any, but at least as a last resort, you could manually assemble a diskpart script to keep on file so that you could later feed it to diskpart to create the desired partition layout.  Below is an example of a script to set up a disk for a standard UEFI-based installation that comes from Microsoft TechNet, just to give you an idea.  To run this, I just make sure the disk ID in the script is correct for the system I'm about to run it on and then run "diskpart /s MyScript.txt".  You could probably build a script that achieved your desired partition layout fairly easily.  The Set ID and Attrib commands below are typically only necessary for "special" partitions like the Windows Recovery partition and other cases where you might want certain things like not having a drive letter assigned by default, but if you'll be doing this for data-only drives, you wouldn't have to worry about that.

select disk 0
clean
convert gpt
create partition efi size=100
rem  ** NOTE: For Advanced Format 4Kn drives,
rem     change this value to size = 260 **
format quick fs=fat32 label="System"
assign letter="S"
create partition msr size=16
create partition primary
rem ==  b. Create space for the recovery tools ===
shrink minimum=750
format quick fs=ntfs label="Windows"
assign letter="W"
create partition primary
format quick fs=ntfs label="Recovery"
assign letter="R"
set id="de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac"
gpt attributes=0x8000000000000001
list volume
exit

jphughan,
  I was hoping for some utility that will do this for me but it's worth looking into.  I need a refresher course on Diskpart anyway.
Thank you...

Drac144
Drac144
Expert
Expert (632 reputation)Expert (632 reputation)Expert (632 reputation)Expert (632 reputation)Expert (632 reputation)Expert (632 reputation)Expert (632 reputation)Expert (632 reputation)Expert (632 reputation)
I use a disk partition manager: MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition which is free (or at least was when I got it).  That program can produce a file with detailed partition information which it can later use to rebuild the partitions of any or all of the disks connected to your system.  It also backs up boot record content.
Edited 30 August 2018 7:04 PM by Drac144
BGregory
BGregory
Talented Member
Thanks Drac144.  I've used MiniTool before but did not know it would do as you mentioned.  I will certainly check this out,

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...