Macrium 7 locked with scheduled backup

Author
Max
New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello everyone,

I'm noticing a strange behavior of Macrium 7.x: if the scheduler displays a backup window on the screen, and I stop the start of the backup by postponing an hour for example, Macrium prevents me from running other operations to modify or add new schedules.
Is it possible to circumvent or prevent this situation for me a little 'anomalous?

Thank you,

Max
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)
I believe the reason this occurs is that when you postpone a backup, from a Windows Task Scheduler perspective the originally launched scheduled task stays running during the postponement period; it’s just that Reflect is holding off on actually starting the backup. Otherwise, a postponement would have to involve modifying the Windows scheduled task itself, which creates some additional complexity and possibility for unintended consequences. But because of that, I’m betting that Reflect deliberately doesn’t allow modifications to scheduled tasks while one is actually running, or that might even be a Windows Task Scheduler restriction. You can always go to the Scheduled Tasks tab and stop the task corresponding with the postponed task in order to make your changes, but then you would need to relaunch the job manually when desired.
Max
Max
New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)
Thank you for the answer.

Max

Edited 30 August 2018 1:55 PM by Max
ptoye
ptoye
Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)
Is that really the case? I'd be very surprised (but I'm not a Windows system programmer) if a task can't reschedule itself and terminate. Then Reflect could go on working.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)
Windows Task Scheduler has no native support for deferring execution of a task, probably because it also has no native support for allowing scheduled tasks to run interactively. Scheduled tasks natively execute in a background context separate from the user session, so there isn’t even a native way to prompt a user to make a deferment choice like this. Reflect can do it because of how Macrium has designed their application to operate AFTER it’s been invoked by a scheduled task, not because of any functionality provided by Task Scheduler. I can think of ways that an application like Reflect could potentially tinker with scheduled tasks to allow executions to be deferred without the original scheduled task having to stay open, but they would add both complexity and unreliability.
ptoye
ptoye
Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)
Hmmmm.... I've looked at the https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/taskschd/using-the-task-scheduler and it seems not too difficult for a task to schedule another one (or even the same one) at a later time. Granted, the task doesn't have a user session, but it still shouldn't interfere with a real user session (or .a shutdown, for that matter - that's a serious issue) unless it's actually doing something useful. This is really a UI issue - real users are more important than schedules. "The computer was made for man, not man for the computer".

Not sure about your comment on reliability unless you mean to cast aspersions on Macrium programmers Smile

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
See my reply in your new thread
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...