Error moving a backup

Author
CWBillow
New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I was moving a backup image from one drive to another and received an error that that type of  operation was blocked by admin policy.  When it finished however it appeared that the "new" copy was all in place on the new drive and that the old copy was still in the original location. 

I checked and my Macrium Guardian was turned on.  Is that what that error was/is?  That I can copy an image file, but not move it since that would mean deleting the original file?  Since both copies seem to be in place and the size etc. matches, is/was the copy "good", or should I do it again with Guardian off?

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)
Your supposition is correct.  A move operation when the source and destination are on different partitions is technically a copy followed by a delete.  Image Guardian allowed the copy to occur but blocked the subsequent deletion attempt.  The new copy should indeed be good.  If you want positive confirmation of that, compare the SHA-1 hashes of the files.  There are several downloadable freeware tools that will calculate hashes of files, although be aware that hashing large files like backups can take a while.
Edited 9 August 2018 6:17 PM by jphughan
CWBillow
CWBillow
New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)
jphughan - 9 August 2018 6:12 PM
Your supposition is correct.  A move operation when the source and destination are on different partitions is technically a copy followed by a delete.  Image Guardian allowed the copy to occur but blocked the subsequent deletion attempt.  The new copy should indeed be good.  If you want positive confirmation of that, compare the SHA-1 hashes of the files.  There are several downloadable freeware tools that will calculate hashes of files, although be aware that hashing large files like backups can take a while.

OK, thanks.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...