A very small wish, literally - re: screen display of backups list -CORRECTED POST

Author
RandySea
Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dell XPS 13 laptop, Windows 10 home. High resolution  3200x1800, with Windows Display/ScaleAndLayout set to 250% (Recommended). I think my problem comes from this high resolution that is common on recent, higher end laptops. Otherwise, you probably won't even see it.

When recently doing a restore, I wanted to check a backup by looking over the files on a partition or two.First I selected a backup set. After I selected one, the dropdown showed all the partitions available in the backup. When I clicked on any of them, the backup was highlighted but nothing happened. No way to continue. I restarted Reflect with no change.

I finally realized that there was a tiny, faint checkbox to the left of the partition name. You've got to get your cursor right in there to get it selected. Then Reflect works.

You can see what this looks like in the attached screen shot. There, I have clearly selected C: because you can see it's highlighted. I have not checked the box on the left of the horizontal line showing the C: partition. The "OK" box is grayed out.

My suggestion is to allow clicking anywhere on the line (Original location, Backup Date, Drive Letter, etc.) to select a backup. Or make the checkbox more obvious.

Edited 9 August 2018 2:50 AM by RandySea
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)
There’s another thread about HiDPI support that includes screenshots of problem areas that you may want to post in. I’m actually curious to see the screenshot since I typically initiate a restore by selecting the backup so that it’s highlighted (which I can achieve by clicking anywhere within the horizontal area of that item) and then clicking the “Restore Image” task item at the far right. I’ve never had to use or even seen a checkbox, and I don’t have Reflect with me at the moment to look for myself. Link to existing thread: https://forum.macrium.com/Topic935.aspx
RandySea
RandySea
Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)
jphughan - 8 August 2018 11:58 PM
There’s another thread about HiDPI support that includes screenshots of problem areas that you may want to post in. I’m actually curious to see the screenshot since I typically initiate a restore by selecting the backup so that it’s highlighted (which I can achieve by clicking anywhere within the horizontal area of that item) and then clicking the “Restore Image” task item at the far right. I’ve never had to use or even seen a checkbox, and I don’t have Reflect with me at the moment to look for myself. Link to existing thread: https://forum.macrium.com/Topic935.aspx

On the Dell, there was no way to click Restore Image unless the checkbox was checked. Highlighting the horizontal area left all choices dim. I'll get you a screenshot when my wife gets off her newly-restored machine.

High DPI has been a real problem for developers, especially small ones who may not have the $$ to buy new macines to test on. I actually spend a lot of time beta testing fixes to my preferred contacts program (E-ZContact) for that reason.

The problem I described on the Dell was high DPI because the check box was so small. But why clicking somewhere else in the horizontal area didn't do anything may be something else.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)
Ok, I got to a Reflect system to check this.  It looks like I was thinking of a different area of the interface.  Based on your description, I thought you were talking about the list of backups as shown under the Restore tab, which is where you would initiate a restore -- except there are no checkboxes there.  But since you also mentioned wanting to check partitions for files, I thought you might have been referring to the interface that appears after you click "Browse Image" that displays the list of partitions stored within a given backup, from which you select the one(s) you wish to mount.  And indeed there are checkboxes there, as well as the column headers you describe.  But in that area of the interface, I don't see a dropdown from which you can switch to other backups that exist on the destination, and although merely clicking on those items (as opposed to the checkbox) doesn't do anything, those are partitions you're selecting rather than backups, hence the confusion.

You may want to edit your first post for clarity, but to confirm: Under the Restore tab, you should be able to left-click on the backups anywhere within the horizontal space that backup listing occupies, and upon doing so, the various tasks should appear to the far right.  In the "Browse Image" interface, it is currently expected that you have to click the checkbox rather than simply highlight the partition entry to accomplish anything meaningful (and then change the drive letter to be assigned if desired).  I can't get a screenshot of that UI displaying in a problematic way at the moment because I'm not currently on a system with a HiDPI display, though

Edited 9 August 2018 12:58 AM by jphughan
RandySea
RandySea
Too right, JP.  I have just corrected my first post. The problem is not in selecting the backup set. It is in then selecting a partition to browse.

I think I started correctly, then changed it to be wrong  -- before I first posted it. Blame it on 98° heat and high levels of wildfire smoke in the air where I live.

Admittedly, I did spend most of the day indoors with HEPA filter air circulators and a house that stays reasonably cool. But even going to the garden to pick dinner salad and vegetables, and getting to and from the carport to drive to town, is pretty nasty.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...