Drive showing up as unformatted (Win 10 Storage Space + striped volume)

Author
KomradeNikolai
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
This could be on me for over-complicating things, but Macrium Reflect sees one of my drives as unformatted, so to perform a backup, it does the entire drive regardless of whether or not it's backing up real data. All other drives on the system are detected and backed up correctly. Even the backup of the affected drive is readable, and shows up as formatted correctly when I mount the backup.

There's actually two affected drives, but that just comes down to how I partitioned them.
- I have 4 HDDs which I set up as two two-way mirror Windows 10 "Storage Spaces" (so each storage space creates a two-way mirror using two drives).
- I then took the two newly created "drives" and created two striped partitions, each using half of each storage space.
- Ironically, I split these up like this for backup purposes; I want to back up one of these drives (E) and not the other (F).
- Both are formatted as NTFS.

Here's a screenshot from Reflect V6:

As shown above, Reflect sees these both as unformatted, so the backup takes up a huge amount of space. And I'd guess that every time I do an incremental, it'll take up all that space again.
Here are the drives in Windows Explorer:

From what I can tell, Reflect is supposed to be compatible with both Storage Spaces and dynamic volumes. What I've done here is create something that is similar to a RAID 10 array, but using Storage Spaces to create mirrored pair and then striping across those. Any ideas on how I can get this to work? Is there a file-based backup I can use reflect for rather than the normal drive-level one that might work?
KomradeNikolai
KomradeNikolai
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Slight update: I did find that the "files and folders" backup method would work, but I'd still prefer to do an image of the disk. I find it puzzling that Reflect can read the files on the drive, but doesn't see it as formatted (and thus can't do an image backup without copying every bit.)
Stephen
Stephen
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hello KomradeNikolai,

This is certainly an interesting issue, I have found the ticket you have submitted to our helpdesk and I will check with my colleague to see if he has been able to recreate the issue.

I will reply to the ticket with further information.

Kind regards

Stephen - Macrium Support

Edited 5 August 2018 8:50 PM by Stephen
KomradeNikolai
KomradeNikolai
Stephen - 5 August 2018 8:43 PM
Hello KomradeNikolai,

This is certainly an interesting issue, I have found the ticket you have submitted to our helpdesk and I will check with my colleague to see if he has been able to recreate the issue.

I will reply to the ticket with further information.

Thanks for the reply--I already have a ticket in place (#32587) but was told that the issue could not be reproduced (and my support was expired). It appears you've been assigned my ticked, so let me know any additional info you need to troubleshoot this (logs, etc.).
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...