Clone Failed Error 9 Read Failed 23 Data Error

Author
bluekabylake
New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Attempting to clone the C: drive of a 750GB Toshiba internal to a new Samsung Evo 860 1TB (already formatted for Windows 10 & simply replacing the C: drive on the SSD). Clone was 96% complete before this error occurs. I already made sure to set Macrium to ignore all bad sectors. In the disk managment image below, I am cloning the F: partition (from the Toshiba drive) to the E: partition (Samsung SSD). 

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
I'm wondering if you've got sectors that are completely unreadable rather than just bad, in which case you might be stuck.  I've successfully used a tool called SpinRite to get a failing disk back into good enough shape for long enough to grab the data off it.  It works by simply being a lot more persistent than anything else (and trying a variety of strategies) to try to get just one good read out of a sector before relocating that data elsewhere, but as a result it works a disk pretty hard while trying to do this, so depending on the condition of the disk, there's a possibility that it will finally kill the disk off.  If you haven't already, I'd at least grab a file-level backup of the important data from your C drive.

And unrelated to this just in case you weren't aware, you don't need to set up a clone target with Windows 10 in advance; you can just clone the entire source disk over onto an empty disk.  But if you ARE cloning onto a disk that already has Windows 10 installed, you may want to clone the other partitions anyway, especially if the source and target are running different releases of Windows 10, because the specific Win10 release will affect the contents of the Recovery partition and possibly the EFI partition.

bluekabylake
bluekabylake
New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)
@jphughan Thnx for the app recommendation. Prior to reading your response, I decided to try my backup imaging program (AOMEI Backupper) and was able to successfully clone the F: drive from the 750GB Toshiba SSD to the E: drive of the Samsung EVO 1TB. Took about 2 hrs to complete but the SSD boots to the OS with no issues. 

Any idea why Macrium wasn't able to complete it? Seems like MReflect in my experience struggles to clone/image drives with a few bad sectors (essentially non-perfect drives). I do several imaging/cloning a month & this isn't the first time MReflect failed to clone a non-perfect drive & AOMEI was able to execute the same task. Macrium is still my go to backup tool personally (the UI, speed, support & ease of use come to mind), but I would be dishonest if I didn't admit that I these few times MReflect hasn't been successful (when the competition was able to complete the same task), has me wondering who the real king of the hill is in the backup realm for Windows. 

Edited 28 July 2018 12:03 AM by bluekabylake
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
Glad to hear you were able to capture an image.  I can't provide any insight as to why Reflect didn't get an image even though AOMEI did, though, since I've never used AOMEI and I've been fortunate never to have to capture an image off a dying or otherwise problematic drive.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search