Built-In Templates Missing

Author
charlestek
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I recently had to restore an image from my desktop computer from 2 months ago because the past month's images were corrupt.   Since I had not run the Macrium GUI for at least 4 months, I believe the past month's images were created
with the version prior to Reflect Home 6.3.1855, and when I ran the gui a week ago I updated the program, so I speculate that perhaps the newer version had problems reading the recent images.   

In any case, I was trying to redo the Grandfather, Father, Son template and deleted it.
I just tried to run a backup and when I tried to add a new template, the drop down box was empty and not populated with the stock templates.

I was searching online as to perhaps reinstalling Reflect Home 6, but there is no way to download the installation from Macrium.

I don't know why the templates are missing.
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)
You can download V6 using the download agent linked on the “Installing Macrium Reflect” page of the online user guide. Direct link here: http://updates.macrium.com/reflect/v6/reflectdlfull.exe

I’m not sure why the templates would be gone, but you don’t need them to achieve a GFS strategy, in fact using them can take more time if you have to adjust the schedules from the defaults anyway. GFS just means a periodic Full, more frequent Diffs, and even more frequent Incs. Then it’s just a matter of deciding on your interval and specific days/times, and finally your retention policy for each type of backup. The template picks settings for all of those, but they’re arbitrary and may not be what you want anyway.
Edited 4 July 2018 11:34 PM by jphughan
charlestek
charlestek
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
charlestek - 4 July 2018 11:18 PM
I recently had to restore an image from my desktop computer from 2 months ago because the past month's images were corrupt.   Since I had not run the Macrium GUI for at least 4 months, I believe the past month's images were created
with the version prior to Reflect Home 6.3.1855, and when I ran the gui a week ago I updated the program, so I speculate that perhaps the newer version had problems reading the recent images.   

In any case, I was trying to redo the Grandfather, Father, Son template and deleted it.
I just tried to run a backup and when I tried to add a new template, the drop down box was empty and not populated with the stock templates.

I was searching online as to perhaps reinstalling Reflect Home 6, but there is no way to download the installation from Macrium.

I searched my hard drive and found the reflectDL.exe file, so I can download the installer.  ( jphugan I saw your reply as I was composing this message)   However before I did this, I created a full backup and enabled auto verify, and the verify failed at the first block.  I am running Win 10 professional 64 bit 1709.    I had to restore the primary system partition because I had tried to update to 1803 with and without the media creation tool and accidentally
changed some system folder ownerships that I could not easily undo.
I will uninstall Reflect completely and run the installer and do another full backup and see if the image is verifiable.

Edited 4 July 2018 11:42 PM by charlestek
charlestek
charlestek
charlestek - 4 July 2018 11:37 PM

I searched my hard drive and found the reflectDL.exe file, so I can download the installer.  ( jphugan I saw your reply as I was composing this message)   However before I did this, I created a full backup and enabled auto verify, and the verify failed at the first block.  I am running Win 10 professional 64 bit 1709.    I had to restore the primary system partition because I had tried to update to 1803 with and without the media creation tool and accidentally
I will uninstall Reflect completely and run the installer and do another full backup and see if the image is verifiable.

I just reinstalled 6.3.1855 and I have the same issue, under Select a Template for your Backup Plan there are no stock drop downs, as compared to the standard ones I see running reflect on one of my other computers.

Maybe I have not done some specific sequence so those will appear???
Edited 4 July 2018 11:47 PM by charlestek
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)
If they were manually deleted, you might have to uninstall it and choose to remove your settings (not selected by default) to undo that customization, but that might create more inconvenience than it removes, especially since again, you don’t actually need those templates anyway.
charlestek
charlestek
charlestek - 4 July 2018 11:47 PM

I just reinstalled 6.3.1855 and I have the same issue, under Select a Template for your Backup Plan there are no stock drop downs, as compared to the standard ones I see running reflect on one of my other computers.

I uninstalled again, but this time I told the uninstaller to delete all my settings.   When I reinstalled I now have the stock Backup Plan Templates showing in the drop down list
I understand what you mean, as the stock Grandfather, Father, Son only created on full backup a month and in my recent restore I had two full backups that were corrupt, so I want to have full backups every two weeks.

The KB article details synthetic fulls and some other schemes.

https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Creating+a+backup+image+of+your+computer%2C+drive+or+partitions#Creatingabackupimageofyourcomputer%2Cdriveorpartitions-1

Now I will do a full backup and verify and hope that the image is not corrupt.   I have to find out what is going on with the corruption.
I was more concerned with reinstalling so that the program appeared to be intact on all features as I am wondering if the installation was causing the corrupt images.
Otherwise I have to figure out what is causing the corruption as I will not be able to have any backups regardless of template.

Edited 5 July 2018 12:14 AM by charlestek
charlestek
charlestek
charlestek - 4 July 2018 11:57 PM
charlestek - 4 July 2018 11:47 PM

I uninstalled again, but this time I told the uninstaller to delete all my settings.   When I reinstalled I now have the stock Backup Plan Templates showing in the drop down list
I understand what you mean, as the stock Grandfather, Father, Son only created on full backup a month and in my recent restore I had two full backups that were corrupt, so I want to have full backups every two weeks.

The KB article details synthetic fulls and some other schemes.

https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Creating+a+backup+image+of+your+computer%2C+drive+or+partitions#Creatingabackupimageofyourcomputer%2Cdriveorpartitions-1

Now I will do a full backup and verify and hope that the image is not corrupt.   I have to find out what is going on with the corruption.
I was more concerned with reinstalling so that the program appeared to be intact on all features as I am wondering if the installation was causing the corrupt images.
Otherwise I have to figure out what is causing the corruption as I will not be able to have any backups regardless of template.

charlestek
charlestek
Just starting running Memtest on 32 GB memory.   Lots of errors.    I have to RMA the ram to Corsair.
I have some slower speed memory I will try.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...