Restore Backup after severe Scam

Author
shotbowl
New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Unfortunately, I was not alert enough and fell into a scam whereby I lost full control of my computer.
I could see all sorts of software being loaded and written to disk and let us say that I panicked somewhat.

When I tried to reboot, I could not get into the PC as another rpassword had been setup.

Fortunately, I had made a MR Home backup the evening before this happened.
Using the CD Rescue Media. I was able to successfully restore that backup and all looked good again.

My question is this:
Does such a restore automatically delete the partition and erase all files that were there (before the restore) ?
If there were hidden files, or other 'invisible' items written to the disk, does the restore wipe those as well ?

Thank you in advance for your reply.
D
Froggie
Froggie
Master
Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)
Anything that appeared (hidden or otherwise) AFTER your image is now GONE... you should be fine.

Although, sometimes those baddies are on your System for some time before they jump up and be counted... keep your eye out.
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)
Froggie is correct.  In typical restore cases, new partitions are created from scratch before the data is restored.  In your case, Reflect probably used "Rapid Delta Restore", which saves time because instead of restoring all of your data the regular way, Reflect instead looks at your current disk state and then figures out what changes to make in order to revert it to the state of your selected backup.  But either way, your disk now contains the data that was originallycaptured in the backup from which you restored -- nothing more, nothing less. So,barring a case of this malware having gotten into your system and stayed dormant for a while before making itself known, you're fine, and that sounds unlikely based on your description.

Edited 25 June 2018 1:20 PM by jphughan
shotbowl
shotbowl
New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)
Froggie - 25 June 2018 11:12 AM
Anything that appeared (hidden or otherwise) AFTER your image is now GONE... you should be fine.

Although, sometimes those baddies are on your System for some time before they jump up and be counted... keep your eye out.

Thank you very much for your reply.
That is excellent.
MR to the rescue again.
shotbowl
shotbowl
jphughan - 25 June 2018 1:19 PM
Froggie is correct.  In typical restore cases, new partitions are created from scratch before the data is restored.  In your case, Reflect probably used "Rapid Delta Restore", which saves time because instead of restoring all of your data the regular way, Reflect instead looks at your current disk state and then figures out what changes to make in order to revert it to the state of your selected backup.  But either way, your disk now contains the data that was originallycaptured in the backup from which you restored -- nothing more, nothing less. So,barring a case of this malware having gotten into your system and stayed dormant for a while before making itself known, you're fine, and that sounds unlikely based on your description.

Thank you BOTH very much for your replies.
That is excellent - and exactly what I had hoped for.
MR to the rescue again.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...