Task specific XML file editing command to shut down computer (not "edit defaults")

Author
Jim
New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have one task where I make an image of my C drive once a month and one where I back up my entire D drive once a week with a sub task for daily increments. In other words, 3 scheduled tasks.

I would like to Macrium to shut my computer down only when it backs up my entire D drive.  When I use the "edit defaults" option to turn on power saver to do this, it affects all my scheduled tasks.  I think I should be able to edit the specific XML file for the weekly back up but would like someone to a) confirm this and b) tell me exactly where and what I should change in the XML file.

Thanks in advance.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)
Edit Defaults affects the settings of all subsequently created definition files.  But as you suspect, you can edit one specific definition file.  To do so, go to the Backup Definition Files tab, right-click the D drive backup file, select Edit, then click Advanced Options in the lower-left corner, and enable Power Saving there.  However, that will affect all types of backups run by that XML file, i.e. both your Fulls and Incrementals.  If you only want the shutdown to occur when you create a Full backup of your D drive, do this instead:

- Right-click your existing D drive definition file and select "Duplicate".  Name the new one "D Drive Incrementals" or something similar.
- Right-click that new file, select Schedule, and make sure you only have your desired Incrementals schedule configured, then make sure you have your desired retention policy for Incrementals specified below.
- Right-click your original D drive definition file, select Schedule, and make sure it only has a schedule for Fulls (and again, the desired retention policy), then click Advanced Options and enable Power Saving there.

There's absolutely no problem using two different XML files to contribute to the same backup set.

Edited 23 June 2018 1:37 AM by jphughan
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)
One caveat to the above suggestion: If your current schedule strategy involves Incrementals and Fulls sometimes occurring at the same time -- for example, you have Incrementals set to "Every day at 10PM" and Fulls set to "Every Sunday at 10PM" -- and you rely on Reflect's built-in "precedence" logic so that only the Full backup runs in that situation, breaking those backup types into separate XML files will cause both of those jobs to run.  Since you said you run weekly Fulls and daily Incs, the easiest fix for you would be to change your Incs schedule from "Daily, Every day" to "Weekly, Every Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc." with every day checked except the day your Full runs.

If you had a schedule that wasn't so easily adapted, the only other option would be to keep a single definition file and keep running the Incs as normal, but use a Reflect-generated script to call that XML file for the Fulls.  In that scenario, the script itself would have a "post-execution command" that would shut down the PC, separate from the XML setting.  That would allow the Fulls to trigger a shutdown without the Incs also doing so, but since the script would still point to that single XML file, the "precedence" logic would still apply.

Jim
Jim
New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)
Ok, I've done that and the incremental backup runs fine.  I'll have to wait till Friday to see how the full backup goes. You didn't mention what to do with the original incremental back up task.  I assume it needs to be deleted.  For now I simply disabled it. 

Question: the new incremental task says it will "consolidate" older incremental files after 10 days, while the original incremental task says it will delete linked incremental and differential files.  Since the incremental backup is no longer linked with the full backup task, is this going to be a problem in anyway? 
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
You should have one definition file that only has a Full schedule and another that has only an Incremental schedule. Once you delete the Incremental schedule from the original definition file, the corresponding scheduled task should be deleted automatically, which is why I didn’t mention it. But yes you should only have one task per definition file.

The retention policy language is due to the different backup types. The first one is what displays when an Incremental retention policy is active, and the latter is the language for Full retention policies warning you that when a Full gets purged, the linked Diffs and Incs get purged along with it.
Jim
Jim
OK, thanks so much for your time and help!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...