Macrium Reflect Error - PowerShell is not installed on this system.

Author
RefDM
Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I receive the above error message when trying to either execute or schedule a PowerShell backup script from within MR user interface (latest V7.1 build).

However I can start the same script from both Admin Command Prompt as well as from PowerShell command line, and the backup executes fine in both cases. PowerShell ExecutionPolicy is set as "Undefined" in all other scopes except LocalMachine where it is "RemoteSigned". I tried also "Unrestricted" but received the same result.

No related messages in Windows Event Logs.

I wonder if anyone can shed some light here for this noobie PS user... Blush

Edited 17 June 2018 5:20 PM by RefDM
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)
Just as a test, did you try setting the execution policy to Unrestricted without specifying a scope (Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted) so it’s set that way everywhere? If it works, then you can work back to lock it down. If it still doesn’t, what version of Windows are you running and what version of PowerShell is installed?  You can check the latter by typing $PSVersionTable.

I didn’t actually try scheduling backups against the script I used for creating the persistent counter, although I did successfully run it from within the Reflect UI. I have my system set to unrestricted across the board. The execution policies are just to protect careless users from themselves since any malware could call a bad script by launching PowerShell with the “executionpolicy bypass” parameter. Good luck!
Edited 17 June 2018 10:52 PM by jphughan
RefDM
RefDM
Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)
Yes, I did try setting the execution policy to Unrestricted without specifying a scope. I also tried setting it to Unrestricted in all scopes (MachinePolicy+UserPolicy via group policy and the others via PowerShell).

Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB. PowerShell as follows:
  • PSVersion                           5.1.14393.2312
  • PSEdition                            Desktop
  • PSCompatibleVersions         {1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0...}
  • BuildVersion                        10.0.14393.2312
  • CLRVersion                          4.0.30319.42000
  • WSManStackVersion            3.0
  • PSRemotingProtocolVersion  2.3
  • SerializationVersion               1.1.0.1
And the PowerShell script runs fine from both Command Prompt and from PowerShell. Only Macrium Reflect refuses to acknowledge that I have PowerShell installed on the system... Crying

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)
Group: Administrators
RefDM - 17 June 2018 5:18 PM
I receive the above error message when trying to either execute or schedule a PowerShell backup script from within MR user interface (latest V7.1 build).

However I can start the same script from both Admin Command Prompt as well as from PowerShell command line, and the backup executes fine in both cases. PowerShell ExecutionPolicy is set as "Undefined" in all other scopes except LocalMachine where it is "RemoteSigned". I tried also "Unrestricted" but received the same result.

No related messages in Windows Event Logs.

I wonder if anyone can shed some light here for this noobie PS user... Blush

Can you check that the following registry entry exists and create if if doesn't:

Key:       HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PowerShell\1
Name:   Install
Type:     DWORD 32Bit
Value:   1

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/powershell/2009/06/25/detection-logic-for-powershell-installation/

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

Edited 18 June 2018 7:58 PM by Nick
RefDM
RefDM
Hi @Nick, and thank you for your reply and hint. My system indeed did not have the registry entry in ...\PowerShell\1, but instead had an equivalent entry only in ...\PowerShell\3.

Unfortunately adding the registry entry you suggested did not have any effect.

I then did a small experiment by performing a clean Windows 10 install, and the registry entry ...PowerShell\1 was created. However, as soon as I removed PowerShell V2 from the system, the entry disappeared!

At this point it seems to me that MR is here relying on a deprecated Windows feature which I have deliberately removed from all our Windows installations due to security reasons. And because of that I'd rather not reinstall PowerShell V2 any more. MR can easily be modified to support the current PowerShell by adding the check for the corresponding ...\PowerShell\3 registry entries

Please see Microsoft's blog from last summer about PowerShell V2 deprecation in Windows 10 FCU.

I hope that MR will soon support the current PowerShell version... Wink

Edited 19 June 2018 4:18 PM by RefDM
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)
Not arguing that checking for a newer version of PowerShell would be helpful, but I'm surprised the registry change didn't work.  Did you restart after you created it?  And if so, are you sure you created the value as a DWORD and didn't have a typo or anything?  I ask about the latter because that's caught me out when manually creating registry entries before. Wink

Edited 19 June 2018 4:31 PM by jphughan
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)
Group: Administrators
RefDM - 19 June 2018 4:05 PM
Hi @Nick, and thank you for your reply and hint. My system indeed did not have the registry entry in ...\PowerShell\1, but instead had an equivalent entry only in ...\PowerShell\3.

I then did a small experiment by performing a clean Windows 10 install, and the registry entry ...PowerShell\1 was created. However, as soon as I removed PowerShell V2 from the system, the entry disappeared!

At this point it seems to me that MR is here relying on a deprecated Windows feature which I have deliberately removed from all our Windows installations due to security reasons. And because of that I'd rather not reinstall PowerShell V2 any more. MR can easily be modified to support the current PowerShell by adding the check for the corresponding ...\PowerShell\3 registry entries

Please see Microsoft's blog from last summer about PowerShell V2 deprecation in Windows 10 FCU.

I hope that MR will soon support the current PowerShell version... Wink

Thanks for the heads up on the Powershell version. 

Sorry that didn't work.  Can you please double check the registry key, name and value.

Key:   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PowerShell\1
Name: Install
Type:  DWORD 32Bit
Value: 1

If that entry exists then Reflect will assume PowerShell is installed.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

Edited 19 June 2018 4:32 PM by Nick
RefDM
RefDM
@Nick, Please accept my apologies! A damn typo - this is what happens when one tries to perform more tasks simultaneously than he is capable of doing...

As soon as I corrected the typo, the script started running from within MR user interface.

However I hope that in some future release MR will be updated to support systems without PowerShell V2 without this registry hack, too. It seems to me that the "...\PowerShell\1" registry tree might be dedicated to PowerShell versions 1 & 2 only.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search