I tried to edit my retention rules, but they did not change

Author
ronbar
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
My problem was as follows:
my retention rules currently say retain 15 full images.
i would like to change this number to 20.
but i cannot figure out how to change the number of images.
please tell me how to edit the retention rules.

The response from MR was:
1) Open Macrium Reflect v6.
2) Navigate to the backup tab, then the 'Backup Definition Files' tab.
3) Right-click on the Backup Definition File you wish to edit the retention rules for and select 'Edit'.
4) Using this wizard you will be able to Define Retention Rules that will be applied to the backups created by this definition

Per this response, I edited the retention rules to what I wanted; 16 full images rather than 15.
Now when I open Macrium Reflect, navigate to the backup tab, open the 'Backup Definition Files' tab, and then scroll down in the 'Image Options' window I see that it under Retention Rules it says "Full: Retain 16 full images".
But after having created a few more daily images I still find only 15 images on my backup drive.
What have I done wrong, or misunderstood?
Thanks in advance for any help.,
Ron
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)
Check the log of the most recent Full backup to run from that definition file (under the Log tab next to the Backup and Restore tabs).  It will show the retention policy configuration that was active at the time the job ran, so make sure that says 16 Fulls.  Then see if a Full might have been purged for another reason, such as running out of space at the destination (if you have the disk space purge option enabled), or if you have "Run purge before backup" enabled and the most recent job failed partway through, then the upfront purge would have brought you down to 15 backups, but since the backup subsequently failed, you wouldn't get your 16th.  The log should make it clear one way or another.  If you don't understand what the log says, copy/paste it here, but make sure to remove your license key that's shown at the bottom of the log.  If you have email notifications enabled, you may want to remove your email address(es) too.

Edited 15 June 2018 3:33 AM by jphughan
ronbar
ronbar
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
Thanks, jphughan-
I checked the log and found it says "Retention Rules...Full: Retain 15 full images...".

Then I confirmed that there is 192 GB of free space in my J disk, which is the destination for my image files. Note that the size of each image is smaller than 45 GB.

When I then checked the purge option I found a check mark in the box next to "Run the purge before backup", so I edited the rules to uncheck that box.

I hope that corrects the problem.

I hope to see that there are 16 backups in drive J after tonight's image has been created.

Thanks again,
Ron
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)
Unchecking the "Run purge before backup" won't affect whether the retention rules are correct; it just changes when the purge runs.  The issue is that your log apparently says "Retain 15 Full images" even though your definition file says "Retain 16".  One thing you can do is re-confirm that the definition file Image Options tab still shows 16 (or set it to 20 since based on the beginning of your first post, that's what you wanted anyway), and then manually run that definition file by right-clicking it and selecting Run Now > Full.  Then check the log of that job after it completes to make sure it shows 16 (or 20).  If so, then future jobs that run automatically on a schedule should also display that retention policy setting.

Edited 15 June 2018 3:45 PM by jphughan
ronbar
ronbar
jphughan - 15 June 2018 3:44 PM
Unchecking the "Run purge before backup" won't affect whether the retention rules are correct; it just changes when the purge runs.  The issue is that your log apparently says "Retain 15 Full images" even though your definition file says "Retain 16".  One thing you can do is re-confirm that the definition file Image Options tab still shows 16 (or set it to 20 since based on the beginning of your first post, that's what you wanted anyway), and then manually run that definition file by right-clicking it and selecting Run Now > Full.  Then check the log of that job after it completes to make sure it shows 16 (or 20).  If so, then future jobs that run automatically on a schedule should also display that retention policy setting.

Unfortunately, after this evening's image had been created I again found that there were only 15 images present on my J drive.
My *.xml file says "retain 16 full images", but only 15 images are being retained (see attached jpg's)
The fact that I have edited the retention rules so that they say 16 full images are to be retained, and also that purge is not to run before backup, did not correct the problem.
I remain puzzled.
Attachments
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
They say a picture is worth a thousand words, and yours just confirmed something that had occurred to me.  Take a look at the path of the definition file under your Backup Definition Files tab -- note that it's a file in Reflect's Program Files directory.  Now take a look at your log, and notice that it refers to a completely different definition file in your Documents folder.  The definition file you've been editing in Reflect isn't the same definition file that your scheduled backups are calling, which is why your settings changes aren't having any effect.  I'm not sure how the one in your Documents folder disappeared from Reflect or how you ended up storing a definition file in Reflect's Program Files folder, but here's what you should do:

- In the Backup Definition Files tab, click the green + icon to import a definition file and select the one in your Documents folder so that you can manage it from Reflect going forward.
- Once it appears, edit THAT one and make sure the settings are to your liking.  I would check everything, including the partitions/disks selected for backup, as well as the Advanced Options, since you apparently haven't been looking at this one for a while.  Also check the schedule.  If the schedule appears as you want it, then keep going.  If not, save your changes for now WITHOUT adding a schedule.
- If the newly imported definition file did not show any scheduled backups, you'll want to open Windows Task Scheduler and delete the scheduled job that's apparently been running "under the radar".  It shouldn't be hard to find because all Reflect scheduled tasks begin with Macrium.  Delete any of those.  Then go back into Reflect, right-click your newly imported definition file, select Schedule, and set your schedule back up again.
- Once all that checks out, you may want to delete the other definition file that resides in your Program Files directory to avoid confusion.

Edited 16 June 2018 12:25 AM by jphughan
ronbar
ronbar
jphughan - 16 June 2018 12:15 AM
They say a picture is worth a thousand words, and yours just confirmed something that had occurred to me.  Take a look at the path of the definition file under your Backup Definition Files tab -- note that it's a file in Reflect's Program Files directory.  Now take a look at your log, and notice that it refers to a completely different definition file in your Documents folder.  The definition file you've been editing in Reflect isn't the same definition file that your scheduled backups are calling, which is why your settings changes aren't having any effect.  I'm not sure how the one in your Documents folder disappeared from Reflect or how you ended up storing a definition file in Reflect's Program Files folder, but here's what you should do:

- In the Backup Definition Files tab, click the green + icon to import a definition file and select the one in your Documents folder so that you can manage it from Reflect going forward.
- Once it appears, edit THAT one and make sure the settings are to your liking.  I would check everything, including the partitions/disks selected for backup, as well as the Advanced Options, since you apparently haven't been looking at this one for a while.  Also check the schedule.  If the schedule appears as you want it, then keep going.  If not, save your changes for now WITHOUT adding a schedule.
- If the newly imported definition file did not show any scheduled backups, you'll want to open Windows Task Scheduler and delete the scheduled job that's apparently been running "under the radar".  It shouldn't be hard to find because all Reflect scheduled tasks begin with Macrium.  Delete any of those.  Then go back into Reflect, right-click your newly imported definition file, select Schedule, and set your schedule back up again.
- Once all that checks out, you may want to delete the other definition file that resides in your Program Files directory to avoid confusion.
Thank you for uncovering the cause of the problem, and for explaining what needed to be done to correct it.
After I went through the steps in your reply, Reflect this evening has retained 16 full images in my J drive.
You wrote "...I'm not sure how the one in your Documents folder disappeared from Reflect or how you ended up storing a definition file in Reflect's Program Files folder..."
I cannot explain why 2 files named "My Backup.xml" were found on my PC.
I first read about Macrium Reflect back in 2014, in Leo Notenboom's "Ask Leo!" newsletter.
When I saw how well Reflect worked I purchased both Reflect and Leo's book "Saved! / Backing Up With Macrium Reflect".
On 5/2/2014, following the instructions in his book, I saved my first "My Backup.xml" file in my Documents folder.
For some reason Reflect apparently saved another file with the same name in the other path; "C:\Program Files\Macrium\Reflect\My Backup.xml".
Because Reflect has been working with (calling?) the file that is in my Documents folder, I imported that file into Reflect and edited it to retain 16 full backups.
This evening, when I saw 16 full backups in my J drive, I removed the other file from the Backup Definition Files tab in Reflect.
Thanks again for your help,
Ron

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...