Must start Reflect main program and OK the UAC before scheduled jobs can run

Must start Reflect main program and OK the UAC before scheduled jobs...
Author
Zombie
New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello
Suddenly (several months ago) I must start Reflect and approve a UAC dialog before any scheduled backup jobs can run.
This appeared suddenly, maybe after a Windows och Reflect update.
I have Reflect 6.1 build 1852 and Win7 Pro 6.1 build 7601, SP1
I tried to add my user name and passw to the PC I backup, but must still OK the UAC box.
Looks like it is enough to approve the UAC once per session, then the schedule runs without Reflect started and open on the desktop.
Any workaround to this irritating situation much appreciated.

Edited 13 June 2018 2:06 PM by Zombie
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)
What happens with the scheduled backups if you don't do that first?  If they fail with an error code, what is the error code?  Did you manually create or modify the Reflect scheduled tasks in Windows Task Manager, or are you maybe running these backups by calling a batch file or VB/PS script?  If the former, delete your schedules in your definition file, save the definition file changes so that the corresponding scheduled tasks are deleted, and then go back and re-edit your definition file to add the schedules again.  Additionally, go to Edit Defaults and check the account that is used for scheduled backups.  Make sure that account still has administrative privileges on that PC.

And when you say you tried to add your username and password to the backup, where exactly are you doing that?

Edited 13 June 2018 2:52 PM by jphughan
Zombie
Zombie
New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)
jphughan - 13 June 2018 2:49 PM
What happens with the scheduled backups if you don't do that first?  If they fail with an error code, what is the error code?  Did you manually create or modify the Reflect scheduled tasks in Windows Task Manager?  If so, delete your schedules in your definition file, save the definition file changes so that the corresponding scheduled tasks are deleted, and then go back and re-edit your definition file to add the schedules again.  Additionally, go to Edit Defaults and check the account that is used for scheduled backups.  Make sure that account still has administrative privileges on that PC.

I have only created the schedules in Reflect.
The errors are:
Failure: User - anonymous - Access Denied.
Failure: User - No user - Access Denied.
The account I use is my regular login to Win7, it has admin privileges.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)
Those errors mean that the credentials to access the destination network share are either missing or incorrect.  On Reflect V7 it's possible to store credentials for target network shares, but in V6 I believe you have to make sure that the account running scheduled backups has write access to the destination network share, either by virtue of the account itself or by running backups with a script that opens an authenticated share connection before it calls Reflect.  What is the destination path for your backups?  Are you using a mapped drive letter (not ideal) or a UNC path?  And either way, has something perhaps changed on whatever device is hosting that share with respect to permissions?

Zombie
Zombie
jphughan - 13 June 2018 3:41 PM
Those errors mean that the credentials to access the destination network share are either missing or incorrect.  On Reflect V7 it's possible to store credentials for target network shares, but in V6 I believe you have to make sure that the account running scheduled backups has write access to the destination network share, either by virtue of the account itself or by running backups with a script that opens an authenticated share connection before it calls Reflect.  What is the destination path for your backups?  Are you using a mapped drive letter (not ideal) or a UNC path?  And either way, has something perhaps changed on whatever device is hosting that share with respect to permissions?

The path looks like \\NAS\Backups\Image\, might be UNC as it comes tstraight from the Network folder on the desktop. I belive my user has access to the backup destination as it is logged in automatically and I can delete and add files in Explorer. One day smth decided that I need to pass UAC to let Reflect even if I start the reflectbin.exe as an admin. I have two User accounts on my pc, of which one can't be changed and the other is editable. I prob added the editable one in desperattion to make Reflect bypass UAC.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
UAC and network credentials are two different issues, even if they may have a related cause. The only ways for Reflect to bypass UAC are for it as a scheduled task, which allows applications to run elevated without a manual UAC prompt, or else for UAC to be disabled. If you’re still seeing a prompt when it runs scheduled, then I would re-enter your credentials under Edit Defaults for the scheduled user and then delete and recreate your schedules. Note that to delete them, you have to click OK to save the entire definition file after clearing out your schedules for Reflect to update Task Scheduler, then go back and add them again.

As for your NAS, yes that’s a UNC path, and if your NAS has a user account that has the same username and password as your Windows account (and write access to the share, of course), then you would automatically have access to it, which means Reflect would as well if scheduled tasks run under the same account.
Zombie
Zombie
jphughan - 14 June 2018 12:58 PM
UAC and network credentials are two different issues, even if they may have a related cause. The only ways for Reflect to bypass UAC are for it as a scheduled task, which allows applications to run elevated without a manual UAC prompt, or else for UAC to be disabled. If you’re still seeing a prompt when it runs scheduled, then I would re-enter your credentials under Edit Defaults for the scheduled user and then delete and recreate your schedules. Note that to delete them, you have to click OK to save the entire definition file after clearing out your schedules for Reflect to update Task Scheduler, then go back and add them again.As for your NAS, yes that’s a UNC path, and if your NAS has a user account that has the same username and password as your Windows account (and write access to the share, of course), then you would automatically have access to it, which means Reflect would as well if scheduled tasks run under the same account.

I am not seeing a prompt when the scheduled backup starts. It just starts and fails
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Ok, if the scheduled task is failing with the errors you mentioned above, then it's because there's something wrong with the network access available to Reflect when it runs as a scheduled task.  I'm not sure why launching Reflect interactively once and then closing it allows all subsequent scheduled tasks that occur with your user session to work properly, but then again I also have no visibility into how your NAS access is achieved.  I would still recommend doing what I said above since it's fairly easy, and then it would help for you to have a clear understanding of exactly how your regular Windows session gets authenticated to your NAS.  Do you in fact have a matching username and password configured on your NAS, or do you have some utility running in your Windows session that authenticates that connection so that everything looks automatic to you, etc.?

Zombie
Zombie
jphughan - 14 June 2018 1:25 PM
Ok, if the scheduled task is failing with the errors you mentioned above, then it's because there's something wrong with the network access available to Reflect when it runs as a scheduled task.  I'm not sure why launching Reflect interactively once and then closing it allows all subsequent scheduled tasks that occur with your user session to work properly, but then again I also have no visibility into how your NAS access is achieved.  I would still recommend doing what I said above since it's fairly easy, and then it would help for you to have a clear understanding of exactly how your regular Windows session gets authenticated to your NAS.  Do you in fact have a matching username and password configured on your NAS, or do you have some utility running in your Windows session that authenticates that connection so that everything looks automatic to you, etc.?

Windows has access to the NAS through my network. I have specified the login and password and that's it and it is not the same as to the NAS.
 The NAS has also some folders on the NAS mounted as network drives M:, P: and S: but Reflect uses the network address.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
I realize you get access through the network -- that's what the "N" in "NAS" stands for.  I was asking how you actually authenticate to the NAS in order to get permission to access and modify its data.  If your Windows user credentials and the NAS user credentials do NOT match, then when Reflect runs as a scheduled task, it won't be able to get permission to access the NAS, which is precisely what you're seeing -- unless you provide other credentials manually somehow.  Reflect V7 has an easy mechanism for this, but I don't believe V6 does.  Also note that even when your interactive Windows session and a scheduled task run under the same user account, they still do not share the same user context, and consequently authenticated network connections created in one context are not available to the other.

When you say you "have specified the login and password", where exactly did you do that?

It might actually be easier to just create another NAS user that DOES have the same username and password as your Windows account and then grant that user modify access to the relevant share, fyi.

Edited 14 June 2018 1:55 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...