Seems like all full images are corrupted

Author
Lunix
Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am on the monthly GFS schedule, so I have a full backup each month, differential weekly, and incremental daily.  I have restored images before (I trust Macrium more than MS), with zero issues.  But I just tried to restore descendants of two different full images and Reflect told me (after trying to restore and reaching 25% completion on the first attempt) that the image is corrupt.  I checked the backup (external USB) HDD on another PC, and there are no errors.

I believe that Windows' system on the machine I am trying to restore is quite messed up.  So, I am booting from PE (a USB stick) to try to restore.  Could the underlying OS on the SSD be the source of the "corruption" problem, or something else?  I can't even boot the machine into Windows' recovery, missing system files.  I have a Windows CD that I recently made, thank goodness.  Not sure what's next.

Edited 12 June 2018 4:00 AM by Lunix
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)
You say you're trying to restore descendants of two different Fulls and they're failing, and yet you suspect the Fulls are corrupt rather than the descendants?  Have you tried restoring from an actual Full directly?  What is the actual error you're getting during the restore process?  And what do you mean that you checked the backup on another PC and found no errors?  If you mean you ran a Verify Image operation and it came up clean, then I suppose it's possible there's a hardware issue with the PC you're trying to restore -- possibly the cable to the restore target drive, the memory module(s), or the cable to the external HDD if you didn't use the same cable when you ran the test on the other PC.  The state of the OS on the target wouldn't have anything to do with it, although I suppose the hardware state of the SSD itself could.

Edited 12 June 2018 4:30 AM by jphughan
Lunix
Lunix
Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)
jphughan - 12 June 2018 4:24 AM
You say you're trying to restore descendants of two different Fulls and they're failing, and yet you suspect the Fulls are corrupt rather than the descendants?  Have you tried restoring from an actual Full directly?  What is the actual error you're getting during the restore process?  And what do you mean that you checked the backup on another PC and found no errors?  If you mean you ran a Verify Image operation and it came up clean, then I suppose it's possible there's a hardware issue with the PC you're trying to restore -- possibly the cable to the restore target drive, the memory module(s), or the cable to the external HDD if you didn't use the same cable when you ran the test on the other PC.  The state of the OS on the target wouldn't have anything to do with it, although I suppose the hardware state of the SSD itself could.

Yes, I've tried restoring three different full backups and each time Reflect restores >5% then pops up an error showing the full path of the backup image and saying the image is corrupt.  I think I will pull the SSD and plug it externally into another PC that has Macrium and try to restore again.  It could be bad DRAM on the problem machine.

I checked the backup disk (not through Reflect, but via the OS) on another machine.  No file, or surface errors.

I tried deleting the partitions on the SSD, but it still doesn't work.  I might have to resort to Gparted Live or some such.  I've had good results with that before.  I hope I can get one of the recent images to restore, though.  Most of my files are triply backed up, so I'm not too worried about losing data.  Just that it's a pain to install Windows and all the apps and settings.  Hopefully my hardware isn't bad!  But some of the random BSODs with different error codes say something in hardware probably is.

Edited 12 June 2018 5:13 AM by Lunix
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)
Partitioning in advance with other utilities won’t really do anything. If you choose to restore an entire disk, then any existing partitions will get deleted anyway before Reflect recreates the partition map. If you have a way to perform the restore using another machine, that would certainly be useful, although if it succeeds, you still won’t know whether the problem is the SSD cable or a memory module, which would be good to determine to avoid future problems. Do you have another cable you can test with your SSD in the current PC? Or if you have more than one memory module installed, try running the restore with just one installed, and if it still fails, try removing it and installing only the other module.
Edited 12 June 2018 5:13 AM by jphughan
Lunix
Lunix
jphughan - 12 June 2018 5:12 AM
Partitioning in advance with other utilities won’t really do anything. If you choose to restore an entire disk, then any existing partitions will get deleted anyway before Reflect recreates the partition map. If you have a way to perform the restore using another machine, that would certainly be useful, although if it succeeds, you still won’t know whether the problem is the SSD cable or a memory module, which would be good to determine to avoid future problems. Do you have another cable you can test with your SSD in the current PC? Or if you have more than one memory module installed, try running the restore with just one installed, and if it still fails, try removing it and installing only the other module.

Good suggestions.  Yes, I have another cable (several even).  I will play with the DRAM too.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Actually, you can skip the cable testing. Thinking back on a post by Nick from Macrium Support, the way a restore works is that a data block from the image file is read into memory, then a hash is performed of that block, and the result is checked against the hash stored in the image file itself. This is designed to ensure that the image file is still intact by confirming that the data being read from it during the restore is identical to the data that was originally written to it when the stored hash was calculated. The next step of writing that data to the target disk is NOT verified for reasons not germane to this discussion, except that it means that cable for the restore target couldn’t be the culprit. So if you’re seeing a corruption error, there are only a few possibilities:

#1: The image is in fact corrupt. Unlikely here since you successfully verified it elsewhere.

#2: The cable from the external HDD is unreliable. Also unlikely if you used that same cable when verifying the image elsewhere.

#3: Your memory is bad, which is causing the data blocks and/or hash value not to be stored in memory properly and therefore to not compare properly against the image.

#4: Your motherboard is bad in some way that affects the data path between your external HDD and your memory, or your memory and your CPU.

#5: Your CPU is bad. This is more a theoretical than practical possibility.
Edited 12 June 2018 5:38 AM by jphughan
Lunix
Lunix
Well, now it's restoring (slowly) in a USB dock on another machine, and over 80% progress (far better than any previous attempt).  So, it has to be hardware.  Thanks for all your help!

Edited 12 June 2018 8:28 AM by Lunix
Lunix
Lunix
It was a problem with DRAM.  It's working fine now, after restoring the image to the SSD using a dock on a different machine.  I fixed the DRAM problem by cleaning the modules and motherboard and re-installing the modules.

Thanks again for the assistance!

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Nice, glad I was able to help and more importantly that you're back in business! Smile

Lunix
Lunix
I will add that I am happy that I use Macrium Reflect.  It has saved me quite a few times.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...