Please add screen saver or resolution to rescue media

Author
Mintmag
New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Reason being is sometimes it can take a while to conduct operations through the rescue media. Normally I'd just turn the screen off. Unfortunately with some monitors once they are turned off the only way to get the picture back is to reset the computer. This is common with high end displays. 
Drac144
Drac144
Expert
Expert (643 reputation)Expert (643 reputation)Expert (643 reputation)Expert (643 reputation)Expert (643 reputation)Expert (643 reputation)Expert (643 reputation)Expert (643 reputation)Expert (643 reputation)
What is the purpose of having a screen saver in rescue media?  Is your monitor an old CRT of plasma display?  If not, a screen saver is not needed.  Do you want to save energy?  A screen saver doesn't do that, in fact it uses more than having the monitor in sleep mode.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)
Just out of curiosity, what display model do you have that works as you describe?  I've never encountered displays that worked this way in 15 years of IT.  I've seen cases where PCs sometimes won't reliably start outputting to a display after resuming from sleep and in some other scenarios, but that issue has always been related to the PC when used with any display, not the display when used with any PC. But if you'd be ok with a screen saver, why not just leave the display on as-is?  Burn-in/image retention isn't an issue unless your display is CRT, plasma, or OLED, none of which are typically used as PC displays, and even in those cases typically you'll get temporary image retention rather than permanent burn-in unless you leave the same content displayed for days.

And what does the "or resolution" part of your thread title refer to?  If you're requesting a way to change resolution, that's already available in the Other Tasks menu, although the system firmware sometimes restricts the resolutions that are available in WinPE.  On my laptop, for example, when I boot in Legacy BIOS mode I only get 1024x768, and when I boot in UEFI mode I only get my display's native resolution of 3200x1800.  Other systems offer multiple options in one or both of those boot modes.  That's a firmware and Windows PE limitation, not a Reflect limitation.

Edited 6 June 2018 7:28 PM by jphughan
Mintmag
Mintmag
New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)
The monitor does this when it comes to low resolutions. It's a samsung 1440p PLS monitor I can't remember the model number. If the resolution is below a certain number then the monitor struggles to detect the single. I also have a similar issue with the ASUS gsync monitor 
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)
Mintmag - 6 June 2018 7:40 PM
The monitor does this when it comes to low resolutions. It's a samsung 1440p PLS monitor I can't remember the model number. If the resolution is below a certain number then the monitor struggles to detect the single. I also have a similar issue with the ASUS gsync monitor 

Does your PC have different resolutions listed in the Other Tasks > Screen Resolution interface?  If not, what resolution are you running?  If your system is locked at 640x480, that's a known issue on certain PCs especially when using WinPE 10.  In those cases, switching to WinPE 5 often allows the use of higher resolutions, and if that works for you, then a future release of Reflect is slated to include an option that will allow you to use WinPE 10 but boot from the PE 5 microcode so you can use the latest PE version without having this "resolution lock".  But like Drac144, I still don't see the need for a screen saver when using an LCD.

Mintmag
Mintmag
Huh I didn't know that. Okay I ran the test and my monitor still wasn't able to detect it when power cycling but like you said this is a rare issue. So don't worry about it.  
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...