clone vs restore from image

Author
TOK2000
New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
So I've a HD that is starting to go wonky.  I didn't know it till I was installing the latest update to Macrium Workstation and then doing a new image.  Macrium complained about the process and couldn't complete it.  When I looked up the error message it said I needed to run chkdsk which I did and that cleaned up things and I was able to do a new image. 

So now that I don't trust this HD anymore I have a new HD and want to put it into the machine.  I can clone the current HD and I've done that before and it works, and I've done a restore with my boot key and an image and of course that works. So question is in this situation would one method be preferable over the other in getting this new HD up and running?
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)
A clone would get the most current data from the source disk, and if you didn't already have an image, then a clone is faster since you're reading the source and writing the destination at the same time rather than capturing an image first and then restoring it second.  However, a clone also requires that both the source and destination disks be connected at the same time, which not everyone has the hardware to achieve, whereas with an image you can capture an image of the source, then swap drives, then restore to the destination.  On the other hand, an image requires you to have a third location other than your source or destination where you can store the image file.

But in terms of the final result on the destination, assuming the image you would be restoring contains the same data as the source disk you would be cloning, then the outcome on the destination disk will be the same, so it just depends on what's more convenient for your circumstances.

Edited 29 May 2018 4:52 PM by jphughan
TOK2000
TOK2000
New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)
Thanks that makes sense. 
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...