ViBoot cannot boot image

Author
mpooley
Junior Member (78 reputation)Junior Member (78 reputation)Junior Member (78 reputation)Junior Member (78 reputation)Junior Member (78 reputation)Junior Member (78 reputation)Junior Member (78 reputation)Junior Member (78 reputation)Junior Member (78 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have used Viboot a good few times in the past and had absolutely no problems with it but it's a while since I used it and I want to test a backup to make sure its OK
but when I try to start the vm I am getting this message.
The application Encountered an error while attempting to change the state of 'New Virtual Machine'

checkpoint operation failed.
production checkpoints cannot be created.
cannot take checkpoint.

cannot take checkpoint for "New Virtual Machine" because one or more pass-through disk are attached. (Virtual machine ID Blah blah)

I'm not sure what a pass through disk is but I know that I have tested this machine many times in the past and it is never changed much so why am I getting this error please?

Also I have tried four other images of the same PC and I get the error every time.

Thanks
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)
If I had to guess, this may have to do with the fact that starting with Win10 1709, Hyper-V enables "Automatic checkpoints" for new VMs.  That can be disabled per VM, but irritatingly there is no way to set that option to off by default for all newly created VMs.  It causes a checkpoint to be created before a VM starts (if no other checkpoints exist) so that if you mangle it during your usage, you can roll back to the pre-startup state.  However, Hyper-V cannot capture checkpoints of VMs that contain passthrough disks, so if Reflect exposes its image files to Hyper-V as a passthrough disk, then the automatic checkpoint would fail.

If you want to test this theory, open Hyper-V Manager directly, go to the settings for the VM that Reflect created, select Checkpoints in the left column, and see whether automatic checkpoints are enabled.  If so, disable that option and see if viBoot works.  If that works, Macrium might need to update viBoot to disable this feature automatically on VMs that it creates.

Edited 28 May 2018 5:37 PM by jphughan
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)
Ok, I just viBooted one of my own images.  It was captured from a UEFI system, so I got a Gen 2 Hyper-V VM in case that's different from yours.  I'm also running Win10 1803 on the host system.  My viBoot VM was created with a VHDX-hosted virtual disk, not a passthrough disk.  Automatic checkpoints were left enabled, but the VM still started, and strangely no automatic checkpoint was actually created.

If you haven't already, take a look at the virtual disk configuration for your viBoot VM directly in Hyper-V to see what it looks like, and mention whether you're using a Gen 1 or Gen 2 VM in case that matters.

mpooley
mpooley
Junior Member (78 reputation)Junior Member (78 reputation)Junior Member (78 reputation)Junior Member (78 reputation)Junior Member (78 reputation)Junior Member (78 reputation)Junior Member (78 reputation)Junior Member (78 reputation)Junior Member (78 reputation)
I think it's Generation 1 It's a win7 machine so I think it doesn't support Gen 2 ??
I tried it in HyperV management and it says the hypervisor is not running which it is..
It also says I need to enable hardware Virtualisation in the BIOS 
Just changed my Motherboard so that might be the culprit.
Had a look in the Bios and can't find it. 
Going to have another look...

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Win7 doesn’t support Gen 2, that’s correct. A motherboard change could definitely be the culprit. The setting you’re looking for might be called Intel VT. But if hardware virtualization isn’t running, then the hypervisor wouldn’t be running, but you say it is. How do you know that?
mpooley
mpooley
Well I looked if the service was running so maybe that's not right?

anyway  with great difficulty I found a very well hidden Bios option named SVM no other indication of what it was so I enabled it as it had VM in it Smile
I tested it and and at first it would not run but you definitely have to disable checkpoints to get it to work!

But it's working so thanks everybody...

Mike
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Awesome! Interesting note about checkpoints and Gen 1 VMs though. Hopefully Macrium can fix that so they’re automatically disabled when the VM is created. I’m surprised this hasn’t been discovered yet, though, unless it’s somehow an issue specific to your system or images? I don’t have any MBR OS disk images handy to test this with.
Edited 28 May 2018 6:54 PM by jphughan
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Actually, one other idea: Try creating the VM from scratch in viBoot again now that your BIOS configuration is sorted. Maybe the issue is just that viBoot just can’t/doesn’t apply the necessary VM configuration when hardware virtualization is disabled and doesn’t automatically fix it when it’s enabled later.
mpooley
mpooley
tried that but still not working
went to hyper-v management and set it up with no checkpoints and it started to boot but then I got a black screen and my whole PC crashed
I haven't got any time at the moment so i'll try it again later.
JamieW
JamieW
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (171 reputation)Macrium Representative (171 reputation)Macrium Representative (171 reputation)Macrium Representative (171 reputation)Macrium Representative (171 reputation)Macrium Representative (171 reputation)Macrium Representative (171 reputation)Macrium Representative (171 reputation)Macrium Representative (171 reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi mpooley,

If you would like to open a support ticket at https://www.macrium.com/support, we can take a look at your system configuration and try to help you resolve the issue.

Kind Regards,
Macrium Support

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...