Default Rescue to High Performance power scheme

Author
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I had to capture an image from Rescue today and ran into the exact behavior described in this thread: https://forum.macrium.com/Topic22409.aspx

Running the powercfg command I posted in that thread during the backup in order to switch to the High Performance power scheme immediately halved the backup ETA. A Microsoft TechNet page about customizing WinPE specifically recommends making this power scheme the default for any PE environments that will be used for image capture or deployment, and all it takes to do this is to add the powercfg line below to the \windows\system32\startnet.cmd file inside Boot.wim:

powercfg /s 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c

Of course I can (and now do) just keep this command stored as a text file on my Rescue Media and run it via Command Prompt each time, but most people won’t do that, and I believe in a Rescue Media context it makes more sense to prioritize performance over battery life, especially when the difference is this significant.
Reflecting Mirror
Reflecting Mirror
New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
And likely resolve the longer restore times when using the Rescue Disk.

Rescue Media take 4 to 5 times longer to perform backup than hot backup
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...