MS Update Praoblem

Author
Bob_Z
Junior Member (58 reputation)Junior Member (58 reputation)Junior Member (58 reputation)Junior Member (58 reputation)Junior Member (58 reputation)Junior Member (58 reputation)Junior Member (58 reputation)Junior Member (58 reputation)Junior Member (58 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hope this is in the right place.   I recently tried to update my PC from 1709 to 1803 via MS Update.  1803 will not install. I get an error message saying I have an unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware. The OS is on an MBR disk. Does this mean I have to make it a GPT? If it does, how do I go about doing this with MR?

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)
I’m not aware that 1803 refuses to install on an MBR disk. If you haven’t already, try downloading the 1803 install media from Microsoft, use the wizard to create an ISO, then double-click the ISO to mount it and run Setup.exe in there. If you still encounter that issue, converting to GPT for a disk that has an OS installed is a bit involved. It can be done with MR, but you should try the MBR2GPT utility built into Win10 1703 and later instead. Whichever method you use though, you’ll also need to go into your BIOS after running the conversion to enable UEFI booting, because after the conversion the system won’t boot again until UEFI is enabled.

Win10 1803: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

MBR2GPT guide: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/mbr-to-gpt

MR guide to restore MBR image to a GPT layout for UEFI booting: https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/plugins/servlet/mobile?contentId=1998887#content/view/1998887
Bob_Z
Bob_Z
Junior Member (58 reputation)Junior Member (58 reputation)Junior Member (58 reputation)Junior Member (58 reputation)Junior Member (58 reputation)Junior Member (58 reputation)Junior Member (58 reputation)Junior Member (58 reputation)Junior Member (58 reputation)
jphughan - 20 May 2018 5:45 PM
I’m not aware that 1803 refuses to install on an MBR disk. If you haven’t already, try downloading the 1803 install media from Microsoft, use the wizard to create an ISO, then double-click the ISO to mount it and run Setup.exe in there. If you still encounter that issue, converting to GPT for a disk that has an OS installed is a bit involved. It can be done with MR, but you should try the MBR2GPT utility built into Win10 1703 and later instead. Whichever method you use though, you’ll also need to go into your BIOS after running the conversion to enable UEFI booting, because after the conversion the system won’t boot again until UEFI is enabled.Win10 1803: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISOMBR2GPT guide: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/mbr-to-gptMR guide to restore MBR image to a GPT layout for UEFI booting: https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/plugins/servlet/mobile?contentId=1998887#content/view/1998887

It will not install using the ISO.  Apparently, the disk layout prevents installing UEFI firmware.  Will using the MBR2GPT utility solve this?
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)
The error doesn’t mean it’s trying to install UEFI firmware. The error is saying that your disk layout prevents Windows from being booted in UEFI mode; that requires your disk to use the GPT layout, whereas yours uses the MBR layout, which is required for Legacy BIOS booting. MBR2GPT can convert the disk to GPT and make the other necessary changes for a disk that hosts an OS, and then you would need to reboot your system directly into the BIOS Setup interface and enable UEFI boot mode for your PC, because once a disk has been converted to GPT, it can ONLY be booted in UEFI mode.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Ok, doing a bit more research on this, during which I think I found a thread that you created about this on TenForums and that has entirely too many cooks in the kitchen (not all of whom know what they’re talking about), it seems that on more recent releases of Windows 10, if Windows Setup detects that your system is CAPABLE of booting in UEFI mode but isn’t currently set up to do so, then it will now force you to convert your disk so that Windows can boot in UEFI mode. In that case, you may be able to dodge this error by simply forcing your PC to boot only in Legacy mode, since that may tell Windows Setup to allow staying in MBR mode because the PC doesn’t seem to support UEFI. That however assumes that your system even supports completely disabling UEFI support, which it might not. And in any case, UEFI booting has its benefits, including typically faster boot times, the option to enable Secure Boot as an anti-rootkit measure, and the ability to use GPT disks which in turn allows you to have more than 4 partitions. So I would recommend taking a Reflect backup before you proceed and then trying MBR2GPT.
Bob_Z
Bob_Z
Thank you.  I agree about the TenForum, too many people giving conflicting advice.  I have to check again if it will let me boot solely in legacy mode, I don't think so, but I'll look.  I have a Refelct incremental image backup that will run tomorrow morning, so I will try  the MBR2GPT idea then since I will be away from my machine most of the rest of the day.

Drac144
Drac144
Expert
Expert (634 reputation)Expert (634 reputation)Expert (634 reputation)Expert (634 reputation)Expert (634 reputation)Expert (634 reputation)Expert (634 reputation)Expert (634 reputation)Expert (634 reputation)
My system recently updated itself to the new version of Win 10. There were no problems.  I use MBR booting.  My system (firmware) is capable of using UEFI but I don't use it.  It is possible that your system is set up differently than mine, but 1803 will definitely install on an MBR system.
Bob_Z
Bob_Z
It won't on mine, at least in the way it is set up now.

Bob_Z
Bob_Z
Bob_Z - 20 May 2018 9:19 PM

jphughan - 20 May 2018 7:28 PM
Ok, doing a bit more research on this, during which I think I found a thread that you created about this on TenForums and that has entirely too many cooks in the kitchen (not all of whom know what they’re talking about), it seems that on more recent releases of Windows 10, if Windows Setup detects that your system is CAPABLE of booting in UEFI mode but isn’t currently set up to do so, then it will now force you to convert your disk so that Windows can boot in UEFI mode. In that case, you may be able to dodge this error by simply forcing your PC to boot only in Legacy mode, since that may tell Windows Setup to allow staying in MBR mode because the PC doesn’t seem to support UEFI. That however assumes that your system even supports completely disabling UEFI support, which it might not. And in any case, UEFI booting has its benefits, including typically faster boot times, the option to enable Secure Boot as an anti-rootkit measure, and the ability to use GPT disks which in turn allows you to have more than 4 partitions. So I would recommend taking a Reflect backup before you proceed and then trying MBR2GPT.
Do I need ti di anything to the hard drive before I use MBR2GPT or will it fiz the partitions?   What should I set the boot modes to: UEFI only, Legacy only?

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
If you have a "Legacy only" boot mode, then if you set that, you would probably be able to update to Win10 1803 without making any changes to your hard drive.  @Drac144 has already confirmed that Win10 1803 will install on an MBR disk, but apparently it won't if it detects that the system is capable of UEFI booting.  Switching to "Legacy only" should cause your system to indicate that it does not support UEFI.  But if you want to convert, there's no prep work you have to do in advance;you would just follow the instructions in the MBR2GPT article I linked earlier.  After the conversion, it's possible you won't need to change anything on your motherboard at all since it sounds like it's currently configured in a way that will allow it to boot Legacy or UEFI rather than only one or the other.  But if you wanted to, changing to "UEFI only" would allow you to also enable Secure Boot -- but again, that would be done after the conversion.  And obviously capture a Reflect backup beforehand just in case.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...