How can I use the backup XML file to gather sorce disk detail

Author
RayG
Advanced Member
Advanced Member (497 reputation)Advanced Member (497 reputation)Advanced Member (497 reputation)Advanced Member (497 reputation)Advanced Member (497 reputation)Advanced Member (497 reputation)Advanced Member (497 reputation)Advanced Member (497 reputation)Advanced Member (497 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
<source>
  <!-- The following applies to Disk Images only -->
  <image_entry id="1">
  <!-- disk is the 1 based index of the disk to be imaged -->
  <!-- id is the disk signature and is used in place of the disk index if specified -->
  <disk id="XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX">3</disk>
  <!-- partition is the 1 based index of the partition on the disk -->
  <partition>3</partition>
  </image_entry>

In the XML file there is a diskid entry for the source disk (XXXXXXX-... above). I can find no way (so far) to get from that reference when using powershell get-disk, get-volume etc to the full details of the disk. Is there a way to get from the diskid to get to the information that powershell provides?

Regards
RayG
Windows10 X64 V1803 B17134.228 MR v7.1.3317

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)
It's the GUID property returned by Get-Disk, although this property is not displayed in the default output of Get-Disk.  Try running "Get-Disk | Select *"  Also note that I only looked at GPT disks here.

Edited 17 May 2018 1:18 PM by jphughan
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)
Ok, for MBR disks it's slightly more tricky.  Reflect's XML definition file uses a "disk id" tag in that case.  That matches the Signature property returned by Get-Disk, except Reflect expresses this value in hex (without the "0x" prefix) and Get-Disk returns it in decimal.

Decimal to hex:
"{0:x}" -f $DecimalValue

Hex to decimal:
    -If $HexValue has 0x prefix: [int64]$HexValue
    -If not: [int64]("0x"+$HexValue)
   (NOTE: Although [int] will sometimes work, apparently [int64] is required in order to get the expected value in at least some cases.  See this thread.  This is why "{0:d}" -f $HexValue isn't reliable.)

Edited 17 May 2018 1:49 PM by jphughan
RayG
RayG
Advanced Member
Advanced Member (497 reputation)Advanced Member (497 reputation)Advanced Member (497 reputation)Advanced Member (497 reputation)Advanced Member (497 reputation)Advanced Member (497 reputation)Advanced Member (497 reputation)Advanced Member (497 reputation)Advanced Member (497 reputation)
jphughan - 17 May 2018 1:17 PM
Ok, for MBR disks it's slightly more tricky.  Reflect's XML definition file uses a "disk id" tag in that case.  That matches the Signature property returned by Get-Disk, except Reflect expresses this value in hex (without the "0x" prefix) and Get-Disk returns it in decimal.

Hi John,

I think I have just fallen foul of the previous question I posted in that IF your disks are dynamic it seems that you cannot query using the GUID which is why I could not see the way to achieve a result.

Now I am in the process of converting disks back into basic disks I can see when I run (get-disk).guid the GUID's I could not see before.

Shuffling some partitions (Volumes) around using Macrium "Copy dynamic disk" and using the drag / drop method (Now macrium can see the Basic disks) I can create enough space to return all the disks back to basic by using Macrium's "Clone/Copy" and then my issue is solved.

I will watch out for the GPT/MBR issue.

Thanks again.

Regards
RayG
Windows10 X64 V1803 B17134.228 MR v7.1.3317

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...