Different editions

Author
alanbo
New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Can I restore, backup, and append to images and file backups created in one edition of Reflect using another? Eg I have many images and file backups created in the Home Edition - could I restore, backup, and append to these images and file backups in the Free edition? And vice versa?

Froggie
Froggie
Master
Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)
The images should be completely compatible... the features are not.  For instance, the RAPID DELTA RESTORE feature (quick restoration) is not available in the FREE edition and neither is Incremental imaging (only Fulls and Differentials).  I believe the FREE restoration will handle your existing Incrementals just fine but will not create any NEW Incrementals.  Macrium needs to jump in here in case I'm wrong about the FREE version's restoration of existing Incrementals.

But basic imaging and restoration are always available in all versions.
Edited 12 May 2018 9:14 PM by Froggie
alanbo
alanbo
New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)
Froggie - 12 May 2018 9:09 PM
 Macrium needs to jump in here in case I'm wrong about the FREE version's restoration of existing Incrementals.
 I'd be grateful if Macrium could confirm this before I make any changes to my system.

Should have clarified - I want to do full and differential image and file backups, not incremental, and restoration of full and differential image and file backups. Can you also mount images and backups in the Free edition?

Froggie
Froggie
Master
Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)
Full and Diff images supported, browsing images supported (mounting), file & folder backups NOT SUPPORTED.  See the matrix HERE...
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)
You can mount images in the Free version. However, since the Free version doesn’t support File & Folder backups, Incremental backups of any kind, or encrypted backups of kind, I’m not sure if you can mount those types of backups. You definitely would not be able to create or append to F&F backups with the Free version. Among the PAID versions, backups would definitely be comaptible. The only restriction I’m aware of there is that if you want to use the ReDeploy feature on a Server OS, you need Rescue Media created by Reflect Server.
Edited 13 May 2018 2:10 AM by jphughan
alanbo
alanbo
jphughan - 13 May 2018 2:09 AM

I posted this at the end of my post "Bricked!" in the DIsk Imaging forum, but nobody seems to  have noticed:

Gosha from support said of the disk hardware failure:
"Yes if your disk is indeed broken you will need to get a new disk and to restore your image on to the new disk."

The image was created when the disk was faulty. It was verified in Macrium. However, will the image itself be faulty if it was created on a faulty disk?

Froggie
Froggie
Master
If the disk delivered to you faulty DATA, without Operating System detected errors (most of these types of errors come from the device itself), during your imaging operation, the resultant image will have BAD DATA and no indication of such.

It your case, the death of your disk happened in a way where the successful imaging of your DATA prior to its death will most likely provide you with a successful restoration.  There are no guarantees, of course, but my guess would be you'll be just fine when it's all over and you're using your new disk.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)
If the image was captured successfully then it will be fine, barring corruption issues related to the recent CBT issue. A disk that is dyING rather than dead can still accurately read data. In a spinning drive (which I realize you weren’t using), it will typically perform much worse because the disk will be having to retry reads frequently in order to get a proper read, but the data it does finally deliver will be correct, or it won’t deliver the data at all. Hard drives have all sorts of error checking and correction mechanisms because with today’s data densities, even brand new hard drives are constantly encountering correctable read errors. It’s a scary thought, but it’s the way of the storage world these days. For your SSD, I’m not sure what the symptoms of a dying SSD are, but it’s also possible that your disk went straight from perfectly fine to dead if the failure was something like sudden SSD controller failure. Either way, the same rule applies with SSDs: The data will either have been read accurately or not read at all, and in the latter case Reflect would have thrown an error saying something like the drive couldn’t be read, and that would have caused the job to fail.
Edited 13 May 2018 12:52 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...