Rescue Media take 4 to 5 times longer to perform backup than hot backup within Windows 10 Pro

Author
Reflecting Mirror
New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Why does performing a backup of the entire UEFI Windows 10 system drive using the Rescue Media take four to five times longer than running a hot backup within Windows?

The Rescue Media was built using the Reflect option for Windows 10 PE using 6.3.1855 version of Reflect software.

Backup options selected are:
  • All partitions on the system drive.
  • Highest compression.
  • Password protected with 256-AES encryption to the same destination location as the hot backups which is on an USB 3.0 connected external HDD.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)
A backup performed within Rescue does not use VSS, and some VSS writers in Windows will remove data from the snapshot. For example, previous VSS snapshots are not included, and Windows Search deletes its indexing database from snapshots because it can grow quite large and is automatically rebuilt when missing anyway. If you look at the logs from a job performed in Windows and a job performed in Rescue, you may find that the former includes less source data than the latter, or of course just compare the size of the generated backup files.

The other (or additional) factor could be that WinPE defaults to the “Balanced” power profile, not “High Performance”. To change that, copy this into a text file that you store your flash drive or something to make it easier, then before starting a backup, open Command Prompt from the Rescue Media taskbar and enter this:

powercfg /s 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c
Reflecting Mirror
Reflecting Mirror
New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)
Thank you for that detailed explanation.

If I recall correctly, my backup was about 1 GB larger than the hot backup which does not account for the 4 - 5 times increase in backup time using the Rescue Disk.

In the future, I will have to experiment with the command you provided to change the power profile during the Rescue Disk backup to determine if that will decrease the backup times.

Normally I perform hot backups. The one backup I made with the Rescue Disk was an experiment to make sure I could successfully perform backups from the Rescue Disk.

Kind Regards.

Edited 11 May 2018 5:38 PM by Reflecting Mirror
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...