Backup/Image Successful but... 0x40010004

Author
Jim
New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I get emails saying my Full Backup and C Drive Image copy were successful.  However, in each case the Result comes back with 0x40010004 error.  I did a search for this error code and am told there is no such code! 

I've checked the logs and there is no indication of an error.

My back up files look OK as does the Image of my C drive, but eyeballing these doesn't give me much confidence.

Can someone explain this and assure me all is well?

Attachments
Macrium.docx (2 views, 105.00 KB)
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)
Searching the older Macrium forums turns up this thread and this other thread discussing that error.  Do either of those possibly apply to you?

A few general notes as well in case you find any of them useful:

- The "site" constraint in Google is extremely useful for cases like this when you know/suspect that the information you want exists within a particular domain's webpages.  I Googled "0x40010004 site:macrium.com" to limit results to webpages that exist within Macrium.com, for example.

- The Snipping Tool built into Windows since Win7 is a much more effective and flexible means of capturing screenshots than pasting into Word, the latter of which reduces image quality quite a bit.  It's not an issue for this particular case, but it can make text illegible in some cases.  Additionally, if you save the screenshot as an image file, you can use the Insert Image feature here so that you get a clickable thumbnail right in your post, and clicking it displays the screenshot at full resolution.  See below for an example. Smile

- If you're backing up your entire D drive, as one of my clients does, you may want to consider excluding the System Volume Information folder and also probably the Recycle Bin folder, since that way you would still be able to restore the entire backup without overwriting those existing folders on the drive or having to exclude those folders from the restore selection.  You wouldn't want to try to restore System Volume Information from a backup and may not need or want to restore the Recycle Bin either.  Adding these exclusions may also reduce your backup size. See screenshot below for how to configure that.

- Alternatively, if you're backing up the entire D drive, you might prefer to perform image backups.  They will run more quickly, and Incrementals/Differentials will typically be much smaller.  The latter is true because if you change a tiny bit of a very large file, for example, an image job Inc/Diff only has to back up the actual portions, whereas an F&F job Inc/Diff has to back up the entire file again.  The sole reason my clients backs up the entire D drive as an F&F job rather than an image job is because this system is a file server that has custom NTFS permissions defined, and it's much easier to restore custom NTFS permissions using the F&F restore mechanism than out of a mounted image backup.  And speaking of mounting, files larger than 4GB do not display properly when mounted in an F&F backup, even though they restore properly.  Mounted image backups do not have this issue.

Screenshot of recommended exclusion configuration for a full drive F&F backup in case you still don't want to switch to images:

Edited 8 May 2018 8:10 PM by jphughan
Jim
Jim
New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)
jphughan - 8 May 2018 8:08 PM
Searching the older Macrium forums turns up this thread and this other thread discussing that error.  Do either of those possibly apply to you?

- The "site" constraint in Google is extremely useful for cases like this when you know/suspect that the information you want exists within a particular domain's webpages.  I Googled "0x40010004 site:macrium.com" to limit results to webpages that exist within Macrium.com, for example.

- The Snipping Tool built into Windows since Win7 is a much more effective and flexible means of capturing screenshots than pasting into Word, the latter of which reduces image quality quite a bit.  It's not an issue for this particular case, but it can make text illegible in some cases.  Additionally, if you save the screenshot as an image file, you can use the Insert Image feature here so that you get a clickable thumbnail right in your post, and clicking it displays the screenshot at full resolution.  See below for an example. Smile

- If you're backing up your entire D drive, as one of my clients does, you may want to consider excluding the System Volume Information folder and also probably the Recycle Bin folder, since that way you would still be able to restore the entire backup without overwriting those existing folders on the drive or having to exclude those folders from the restore selection.  You wouldn't want to try to restore System Volume Information from a backup and may not need or want to restore the Recycle Bin either.  Adding these exclusions may also reduce your backup size. See screenshot below for how to configure that.

- Alternatively, if you're backing up the entire D drive, you might prefer to perform image backups.  They will run more quickly, and Incrementals/Differentials will typically be much smaller.  The latter is true because if you change a tiny bit of a very large file, for example, an image job Inc/Diff only has to back up the actual portions, whereas an F&F job Inc/Diff has to back up the entire file again.  The sole reason my clients backs up the entire D drive as an F&F job rather than an image job is because this system is a file server that has custom NTFS permissions defined, and it's much easier to restore custom NTFS permissions using the F&F restore mechanism than out of a mounted image backup.  And speaking of mounting, files larger than 4GB do not display properly when mounted in an F&F backup, even though they restore properly.  Mounted image backups do not have this issue.

Screenshot of recommended exclusion configuration for a full drive F&F backup in case you still don't want to switch to images:

jphughan:

First let me say that your post was incredibly useful and the links were spot on.  Thank you for taking the time to reply in such detail.  You can tell I am not very computer savvy.

I will use the site constraint approach whenever I can, but I am surprised that using the Help>Search function in Macrium came up with "no such code".

I've never heard of the "snipping" tool but will follow up and make sure I use it from now on.

I actually have excluded the system volume, temp files, recycle bin and a couple of others so that I backup only data files from my D Drive.

I like the idea of creating an image file of the D Drive.  My only concern is whether I can access my folders/files easily.  Most of the time I am working with Documents or Images.  I will try it and see what happens (as  I said above, I'm not very savvy about all this).

Once again, thank you for your time and your incredibly helpful response.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)
You’re quite welcome! I confess I’ve never used the Search feature within Reflect itself.

As for image backups, if switch to them, accessing your files is a simple matter of using the “Browse Image” function within Reflect, very similar to how that feature works with the File & Folder backups you’re already capturing, except without the limitation around large files. The Browse function causes the backup to appear on your system as a virtual hard drive, and from there you can copy/paste whatever you need out of that backup to wherever you like. Image backups do NOT offer a wizard-based mechanism to restore individual files and folders like File & Folder backups do, since the image restore wizard is used when you want to restore the entire drive, but again in almost all cases, the ability to browse the image and extract data in the manner I previously described is sufficient. Just as a thought, if you have enough free space at your backup destination, you can try capturing an image backup of your D drive now before deleting any existing backups or switching anything over just to see how it works. And if you like it, you could just edit your existing image backup job for your C drive to also include your D drive. Or you can have separate jobs for each if you want to capture their data on different schedules and/or use different retention policies for each. And naturally if you have any questions, people are here to help. Smile
Edited 8 May 2018 9:04 PM by jphughan
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Jim - 8 May 2018 8:54 PM

jphughan:

First let me say that your post was incredibly useful and the links were spot on.  Thank you for taking the time to reply in such detail.  You can tell I am not very computer savvy.

I will use the site constraint approach whenever I can, but I am surprised that using the Help>Search function in Macrium came up with "no such code".

I've never heard of the "snipping" tool but will follow up and make sure I use it from now on.

I actually have excluded the system volume, temp files, recycle bin and a couple of others so that I backup only data files from my D Drive.

I like the idea of creating an image file of the D Drive.  My only concern is whether I can access my folders/files easily.  Most of the time I am working with Documents or Images.  I will try it and see what happens (as  I said above, I'm not very savvy about all this).

Sorry for missing that one from the Help/KB. It has now been added:

https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/Scheduled+Tasks+show+error++0x40010004

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Jim
Jim
Nick - 8 May 2018 9:23 PM
Jim - 8 May 2018 8:54 PM

jphughan:

Sorry for missing that one from the Help/KB. It has now been added:

https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/Scheduled+Tasks+show+error++0x40010004

Thxs for myself and everyone else!
Jim
Jim
jphughan - 8 May 2018 9:02 PM
You’re quite welcome! I confess I’ve never used the Search feature within Reflect itself.

As for image backups, if switch to them, accessing your files is a simple matter of using the “Browse Image” function within Reflect, very similar to how that feature works with the File & Folder backups you’re already capturing, except without the limitation around large files. The Browse function causes the backup to appear on your system as a virtual hard drive, and from there you can copy/paste whatever you need out of that backup to wherever you like. Image backups do NOT offer a wizard-based mechanism to restore individual files and folders like File & Folder backups do, since the image restore wizard is used when you want to restore the entire drive, but again in almost all cases, the ability to browse the image and extract data in the manner I previously described is sufficient. Just as a thought, if you have enough free space at your backup destination, you can try capturing an image backup of your D drive now before deleting any existing backups or switching anything over just to see how it works. And if you like it, you could just edit your existing image backup job for your C drive to also include your D drive. Or you can have separate jobs for each if you want to capture their data on different schedules and/or use different retention policies for each. And naturally if you have any questions, people are here to help. Smile

Thxs.  As you suggested: "... you can try capturing an image backup of your D drive now before deleting any existing backups..."  Exactly what I intend to doSmile

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...