Folder Sync

Author
Soda
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Switching to Reflect from using Retrospect for many years, the one thing I really miss is the ability to sync files and folders.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)
Backing up and syncing are two very different things.  I use both, but I use different tools for each, partly because I've found that in general, the more functions a tool is required to perform, the less effectively it can perform any one.  For syncing, I've found an absolutely fantastic tool called Allway Sync.  It's free as long as your 30-day average sync traffic doesn't exceed what they consider "reasonable personal use", but it's very inexpensive even if you buy the Pro version -- and it is incredibly powerful and flexible while still being easy to use.  Not only does it have native support for syncing to all sorts of cloud storage providers in addition to the typical destinations like local disks, network shares, FTP, etc., but as the name suggests, it can do a multi-way sync, e.g. "Search these 5 locations and replicate the newest version of each file to the other 4."  You can also set up one-way syncs where a particular source is always considered authoritative and replicated out to however many destinations you want.  And then of course it has support for include/exclude filters, previous version retention, automatic syncing based on various triggers, etc.  But my favorite feature of all is probably the Analyze run.  If you choose to use manual syncing (which I do in order to avoid accidental or malicious changes being replicated immediately) and you tell Allway Sync to Analyze, it will look at your various sync points and give you an itemized list of which files are new, deleted, and modified, and what will happen with each file if you click Synchronize, e.g. "This file was deleted from here, so it will be purged from all other locations; this other file was most recently modified here, so it will get updated elsewhere."  And best of all, you can override those decisions on a per-file basis.  So if you don't want to replicate a particularly huge file right now, you can tell it to ignore that one just this once, or maybe you want an older version of one particular file to replace all other copies while still having all other files sync normally, etc.  I highly recommend it.

Edited 6 May 2018 1:37 PM by jphughan
Soda
Soda
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Thanks, I'll try that out! I'm all for the backing up and syncing being two different things, but this is a wish list!!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...