Windows XP - Local BOOT menu option

Author
Froggie
Guru
Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Greetings!  Does this feature still work when using the last release of Reflect v6 (Build 1855), and, if so, what would cause a "Unable to add boot manager - 3" error when trying to install a PE3.1 BOOT media?  The build of the WIM went just fine.

Same question for v7 if anyone knows...

Any help, greatly appreciated.
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Froggie - 24 April 2018 3:00 PM
Greetings!  Does this feature still work when using the last release of Reflect v6 (Build 1855), and, if so, what would cause a "Unable to add boot manager - 3" error when trying to install a PE3.1 BOOT media?  The build of the WIM went just fine.

Same question for v7 if anyone knows...

Any help, greatly appreciated.

Hi Froggie

Check the file: 'C:\ProgramData\Macrium\waik\bootlog.txt'

There may be more info on the cause of the failure.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Edited 25 April 2018 7:56 AM by Nick
Froggie
Froggie
Guru
Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)
Thanks, Nick, BUT... on Windows XP there's no such folder as above.  Did find the following with no bootlog.txt in it or anywhere on the System.

c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Macrium\waik

I know, it's been a loooooong time since any of us have been back in XP w00t ... but I still need to fix this Rolleyes
Edited 25 April 2018 2:03 PM by Froggie
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Froggie - 25 April 2018 12:47 PM
Thanks, Nick, BUT... on Windows XP there's no such folder as above.  Did find the following with no bootlog.txt in it or anywhere on the System.

c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Macrium\waik

I know, it's been a loooooong time since any of us have been back in XP w00t ... but I still need to fix this Rolleyes

Sorry Froggie, I was out of the 'XP' zone. 

The file is:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Macrium\waik\bootlog.txt

If it isn't there after attempting to add the boot menu then something is amiss. Can you check the permissions on the folder?

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Froggie
Froggie
Guru
<Jeeesh...> Yer makin' me re-learn XP all over again Crazy

Just to  be sure, I set the top level folder (Documents and Settings) so that EVERYONE had Full Control and allowed all the sub-folders to inherit their permissions from above.  Even though the application was installed from an ADMINISTRATOR account (which already had FULL CONTROL permissions), the same error is received when I attempt the Local BOOT Option installation.

Haven't got a clue at this point... maybe a complete re-install from scratch?

I was under the impression that Reflect actually installed the more modern BOOTmgr (with BCD Store) on the XP machine, added the Reflect Recovery Media WIM to that boot loader then chain loaded to the NTLDR used by XP for the normal boot process.  If that's the case, it's that installation/configuration that seems to be failing.  I'm not sure where all that stuff is supposed to go on an XP System... there might be other areas where permissions need to be modified.

Edited 25 April 2018 6:51 PM by Froggie
Froggie
Froggie
Guru
<Jeeeeesh... 2> Pls disregard all the above... it was the FROG's fault all the way.

It fully works as advertised (when you do everything correctly)... my apologies, very sorry for the bother.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...