Problem mounting Macrium backup image

Author
Nosmas
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
My system is Windows 10 and I am running Macrium Reflect v6.3.1835 for backups.
I have two partitions - one for the OS and one for Data and I have scheduled regular
FULL backups of both partitions, which are written to an external HDD.  I am having
trouble trying to mount one of the OS images in order to inspect and possibly restore
a file by copy and paste
On the Macrium main page restore tab all available images are shown and I have selected
one of the OS images to be mounted.  Clicking on Browse Image then selecting the image
to be mounted shows 'N/A' under the Drive Letter heading with no apparent means of
changing it.  Clicking on Restore Image opens a window showing the correct source image,
and in the destinations section it shows my two partitions plus two others - Recovery
and Dell Utility.  Advancing to the Next window (Restore Summary) indicates the restore
partition will have drive letter 'C'.  Goimg back to the previous page and clicking
Restore Partition Properties enables the drive letter to e changed.  Clicking on Finish
displays a window stating the 'C' drive is in use and the restore cannot continue and
suggests using Windows PE.
What am I not doing or doing wrongly?  On rare occasions in the past I have mounted
images without any problems.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)
You do NOT want to choose the Restore wizard if you only want to mount an image and copy/paste individual files out.  In a way you're lucky you were trying to overwrite your Windows partition, which can't be done within Windows and which can't be changed to a drive letter other than C, because if you had been working with any other partition, your actions there would have caused Reflect to overwrite your existing partition with the data contained in the selected backup and then simply change the restored instance of that partition to a different drive letter.  Selecting a different drive letter in the restore wizard does not "redirect" the restore elsewhere.

See image below for how to mount images -- you need to click the checkbox next to any partition(s) in your image that you want to mount, and then the dropdown to the right will become available, where you can choose the drive letter that will be used for the mounted instance(s) of the partition(s).

Fyi this is covered in the excellent Reflect V6 Online User Guide that you can access here or via the Help menu in Reflect itself.  This is the specific page about browsing images.

Edited 22 April 2018 11:58 PM by jphughan
Nosmas
Nosmas
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
jphughan - 22 April 2018 11:41 PM
You do NOT want to choose the Restore wizard if you only want to mount an image and copy/paste individual files out.  In a way you're lucky you were trying to overwrite your Windows partition, which can't be done within Windows and which can't be changed to a drive letter other than C, because if you had been working with any other partition, your actions there would have caused Reflect to overwrite your existing partition with the data contained in the selected backup and then simply change the restored instance of that partition to a different drive letter.  Selecting a different drive letter in the restore wizard does not "redirect" the restore elsewhere.

See image below for how to mount images -- you need to click the checkbox next to any partition(s) in your image that you want to mount, and then the dropdown to the right will become available, where you can choose the drive letter that will be used for the mounted instance(s) of the partition(s).

Fyi this is covered in the excellent Reflect V6 Online User Guide that you can access here or via the Help menu in Reflect itself.  This is the specific page about browsing images.

Nosmas
Nosmas
jphughan - Many thanks for your reply and explanations,  I have now mounted one of my images,

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...