Default encryption to AES-128 rather than None when "Enable password" is checked

Default encryption to AES-128 rather than None when "Enable password"...
Author
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
In both the Edit Defaults UI and the Edit Settings UI for individual definition files, I recommend that "128-bit" be the default encryption option rather than None if a password is enabled.  Perhaps even move "None" to the bottom of the dropdown and rename it to "None (not recommended)".  CPU instructions to accelerate AES operations have been around for roughly a decade now, using passwords without encryption on data files is unexpected under today's standards (e.g. MS Office, PDF, ZIP, and RAR files now default to or even force encryption when file passwords are set), and I would argue that the potential consequences of a user setting a password and accidentally neglecting to specify encryption outweigh the possible benefit of a user being able to recover their data after forgetting their password if no encryption was enabled -- especially as I'm not even sure how the latter would actually be accomplished.

Edited 17 April 2018 7:53 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...