viboot backup

Author
cru_technologies
New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Is it possible to specify a different destination when doing a backup from viboot?
It seems to use the xml script used to create the original backup.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)
I don't think so, and I believe part of the reason why is because you get the option of creating an Incremental backup (or I believe Differential if you were originally working with a Full backup), and those image types have to go to the same destination as the original file.  I suppose this could be an option if you chose to create a new Full though.  To my knowledge Reflect doesn't use the XML file though, since there's no guarantee that the XML file will actually be available on the viBoot host (EDIT: Apparently it does.)  I believe the mechanism is similar to what happens if you go the Restore tab within Reflect, select an existing backup, and click Other Actions > Create Incremental/Differential.  There's enough metadata in the existing backup to create a new one with matching settings.

Edited 10 April 2018 12:48 PM by jphughan
JamieW
JamieW
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (239 reputation)Macrium Representative (239 reputation)Macrium Representative (239 reputation)Macrium Representative (239 reputation)Macrium Representative (239 reputation)Macrium Representative (239 reputation)Macrium Representative (239 reputation)Macrium Representative (239 reputation)Macrium Representative (239 reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi cru_technologies,

You are correct that it uses the original XML script.

Unfortunately, the current release of viBoot does not provide any User Interface to configure the backup, but we are aware of this limitation and will be addressing it in a future release.

In the meantime, the XML document is stored in the "C:\ProgramData\Macrium\viBoot" folder along with the rest of the virtual machine configuration.

If you feel comfortable doing so, you can modify the '.xml' file to specify a new destination as below

<!-- Destination of backup or image file -->
  <destination>
   <!-- Fully qualified path to destination directory. Can include the Volume GUID path -->
   <!-- The 'drive' attribute is the drive letter initially associated with the GUID path and is used when displaying path errors -->
   <directory>D:\Backups\</directory>

Please be aware that this will only work for FULL backups.

Kind Regards,
Macrium Support

Edited 10 April 2018 12:40 PM by JamieW
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)
Hey @JamieW, interesting to hear viBoot uses the original XML.  So what happens if viBoot is being used to run an image that wasn't created on that system and therefore the XML file that created the image isn't available to the viBoot host?

Edited 10 April 2018 12:49 PM by jphughan
JamieW
JamieW
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (239 reputation)Macrium Representative (239 reputation)Macrium Representative (239 reputation)Macrium Representative (239 reputation)Macrium Representative (239 reputation)Macrium Representative (239 reputation)Macrium Representative (239 reputation)Macrium Representative (239 reputation)Macrium Representative (239 reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi @jphughan, a copy of the original XML file is stored within the image file, so we simply copy it from there.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...