RestartManager

Author
lmod
New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Running the paid version of Macrium Reflect Home Edition - v7.1.2963 [UEFI] on both my selfbuilt Desktop and my Surface Pro 4. The OS on my desktop is Windows !0 Insider Version 1803 (OS Build 17133.1) The OS on the Surface is Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.334)
Desktop specs: CPU: Intel i7 7700; Motherboard: Asus Prime H270-Pro; Memory: G.Skill DDR4-2400 2 x 8GB.  OS, and all apps, are installed on a PCI-e mounted/connected NVMe SSD.
I use WinPatrol on both machines.  WinPatrol brings up this message after each reboot on both machines
"A new automatic Startup Program has been Program has been detected.
C: \Program Files \Macrium \Common \ReflectMonitor.exe
/RestartByRestartManagerBigGrin1B807313-6DE4-478d-A5E9-76F01CC8DA77"   The string of characters after the colon changes, but the other part of the message is constant.
I understand that the RestartManager is normally invoked to reboot the system to complete an installation when "in-use"  files require modifying.
But why is this occurring at *every* restart?
"Autoruns" does not list an entry for ReflectMonitor.exe, or for RestartManager. That is no doubt correct, as a restart should remove any such entry.
I have not set up scheduled imaging.

vukodlak75
vukodlak75
New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)
I am having this same exact issue. Did you resolve this?

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)
Group: Administrators
vukodlak75 - 3 October 2018 10:20 AM
I am having this same exact issue. Did you resolve this?

Thanks for posting.

ReflectMonitor is part of the normal Reflect install and is required to run on a per user basis to allow users to interact with background / scheduled backups. It launches at logon using the Windows the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Execution is handle by Windows and shouldn't be blocked by WinPatrol. 

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

lmod
lmod
New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)
Hi Nick,
The problem is that WinPatrol first flags this:-
C:\Program Files\Macrium\Common\ReflectUI.exe /RestartByRestartManager:48EC3489-F007-4bbd-8639-8D8F048D4519
The string of characters following "/RestartByRestartManager:" changes at the next reboot, but the other parts of the alert are constant
If I "Accept Change" in the WinPatrol alert, it then flags this:-
C:\Program Files\Macrium\Common\ReflectMonitor.exe /RestartByRestartManager:60C6B138-B489-4617-AD7F-3505DE332DBA /RestartByRestartManager:5A984175-D305-46d6-BCED-935999F7E0AE
It's the "/RestartByRestartManager:" alert that seems to be wrong. Rejecting the change (in WinPatrol) doesn't seem to have any bad effect, and that is what I've been doing.
Regards, Lionel Modra

fireberd
fireberd
New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)
lmod - 5 October 2018 12:13 AM
Hi Nick,
C:\Program Files\Macrium\Common\ReflectUI.exe /RestartByRestartManager:48EC3489-F007-4bbd-8639-8D8F048D4519
The string of characters following "/RestartByRestartManager:" changes at the next reboot, but the other parts of the alert are constant
C:\Program Files\Macrium\Common\ReflectMonitor.exe /RestartByRestartManager:60C6B138-B489-4617-AD7F-3505DE332DBA /RestartByRestartManager:5A984175-D305-46d6-BCED-935999F7E0AE
It's the "/RestartByRestartManager:" alert that seems to be wrong. Rejecting the change (in WinPatrol) doesn't seem to have any bad effect, and that is what I've been doing.
Regards, Lionel Modra

I too have this problem with V7.  I did not have it with V5 or V6. 
As I do not use the scheduling, incremental or background imaging (only full disc images), can I disable these in the Registry?​

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi Nick,
Regards, Lionel Modra
Rejecting the change (in WinPatrol) doesn't seem to have any bad effect, and that is what I've been doing.

I too have this problem with V7. I did not have it with V5 or V6. 
As I do not use the scheduling, incremental or background imaging (only full disc images), can I disable these in the Registry?

v5 and v6 are exactly the same in this regard. If WinPatrol behaves differently for v7 then this is something that WinPatrol is doing. 

You really shouldn't block this operation. Any images restored won't have VSS correctly configured.  

You may want to contact the developers of WinPatrol.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Edited 25 October 2018 8:00 PM by Nick
fireberd
fireberd
New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)
Nick - 25 October 2018 7:58 PM
Hi Nick,
Regards, Lionel Modra
Rejecting the change (in WinPatrol) doesn't seem to have any bad effect, and that is what I've been doing.

I too have this problem with V7. I did not have it with V5 or V6. 
As I do not use the scheduling, incremental or background imaging (only full disc images), can I disable these in the Registry?

v5 and v6 are exactly the same in this regard. If WinPatrol behaves differently for v7 then this is something that WinPatrol is doing. 

You really shouldn't block this operation. Any images restored won't have VSS correctly configured.  

You may want to contact the developers of WinPatrol.

If V5 and V6 worked the same then it has something to do with Win 10 and  WinPatrol.  I had (Purchased) version 6 installed on Win 10 initially.  I also have the Windows 10 "Insider" versions but V7 and WinPatrol are not installed on that   I'll consider installing both to see if it acts the same.
​Sadly, the new owner of WinPatrol hasn't done any updates or fixes since Windows 10 was released.  WinPatrol is a great program that monitors startups, and other system functions and sends alerts.  It would be sad to see it "die".  ​
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)
If WinPatrol hasn’t received updates since Windows 10 was released over 5 years ago, I would argue that it has already died, and is arguably unsafe to continue using given the fact that it injects itself into a key system function and the fact that Microsoft has a penchant for changing things. For example, a relatively recent Windows 10 release, I believe the Fall Creators Update (1709), added functionality that can automatically relaunch applications that were open before the system restarted when the user logs back in. I could see that and other scenarios going badly if an application unaware of new functionality nonetheless tried to “manage” it. Even if the RestartManager function only becomes important on the first boot after an image restore (which I am NOT certain is correct!), I wouldn’t trust myself to remember to allow it in that scenario, since I might be a bit frazzled and stressed over lost time in that restore situation. And if the potential consequence of failing to act correctly in that scenario would be having VSS not configured properly going forward, that would be massively problematic. Best case I’d have to run the restore again and make sure to act correctly on WinPatrol the next time around, but even that would require me to realize that I’d made a mistake in the first place by denying this operation the first time around.

If you want to look at and manage startup items, you might consider the SysInternals tool Autoruns. It doesn’t run as a persistent agent (though I personally consider that a plus), but it will tell you about everything that your system is set up to load and give you line item veto power. Even the Startup tab in Task Manager is fairly decent on newer releases of Windows 10, albeit not as comprehensive.
Edited 25 October 2018 10:03 PM by jphughan
fireberd
fireberd
The ONLY application that is an "issue" is Macrium Reflect V7 and WinPatrol.  Even though it hasn't been updated for a while (the owner claims to be working on an update) no other applications or Windows functions are affected.  
On the surface it looks like Macrium is doing a new install of these two items when Win 10 is started, instead of doing an install once when the program is installed as most programs do.  I would attribute this to Macrium rather than pointing fingers at other items. (I'm a retired LAN/WAN Network Manager and have been through the finger pointing many times with vendors).
​​  
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)
I’m not taking a position on “blame” here since my lack of knowledge as to why Reflect operates this way precludes my doing so. I was simply calling out the general risk of using “stale” applications on a frequently evolving OS platform when that application is designed to meddle with a core operation of the OS, and also suggesting some alternatives for managing startup applications. Glad to hear WinPatrol still works well for you otherwise though.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...