Trying to create a USB rescue media disk

Author
MT1895
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi guys,

I have a licensed copy of MacriumReflect on four workstations.  Two of the workstations have a DVD and two does not.
I am trying to create a USB-stick rescue media for the two stations that don't have a DVD drive and can't find any forum replies that addresses my problem.

First of all I am trying to use a (new) 1GB usb flash drive to do this and felt this was enough space since I have successfully created rescue disks on a CD.

Both  USB only workstations are using the WIN10 platform and it appears I was able to format the USB according to your elevated admin status using the DIskpart commands,

However, when I try to write to the USB, I continue to get the message that : "The USB contains the maximum number of partitions allowed - Please try a different USB disk or remove partitions".

I am at a lost as what to do.  My workstations are new and the newer workstations are being manufactured WITHOUT dvd's as I am sure you know.

Perhaps more space is needed for a USB.  Do you know how much space is needed to create a rescue disk on a USB Flash Drive?  I have the current PE fpor WIN10
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
1GB is more than enough, but if you have the "Enable multiboot" option checked, the flash drive must be formatted as FAT32, not exFAT or NTFS.  If you uncheck that option, Reflect will allow writing the files to an NTFS partition, but then it cannot be used to boot most systems in UEFI mode since support for booting from NTFS partitions is optional on UEFI systems, not mandatory, and many systems don't have that support implemented.  You can't use exFAT at all because nothing boots from exFAT partitions.  Macrium has a KB article describing how to prep a Rescue Media flash drive here.

The reason you're seeing that error message is because when you have an unsuitable partition type on the target drive (or no partition at all), Reflect tries to create a suitable partition on it, but Windows until very recently only supported one partition on flash drives (as opposed to USB spinning hard drives/SSDs), hence the error about being unable to create another partition because you already have the maximum number of partitions on the device.  Windows starting with Win10 1703 or 1709 (can't remember which) supports multiple partitions on flash drives, but I don't think Reflect takes advantage of that yet.

Edited 2 April 2018 8:44 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...