How to create a Hyper-V Gen 2 VM using ViBoot

Author
ASiNET
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi, I have successfully utilized ViBoot to create & manage a Hyper-V Gen 1 VM but I need a Gen 2 VM however, there is not an option in ViBoot for VM Generation.  Does anyone know if this is possible or how to convert a VM Gen 1 to Gen 2?
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)
That decision is made dynamically based on whether the disk you designate as your boot disk uses the MBR or GPT layout, since Gen 1 VMs that use Legacy BIOS boot from MBR disks and Gen 2 VMs that use UEFI boot from GPT disks.  Note that if the image you're trying to viBoot is a Windows 7 image set up for UEFI boot, that will not work at all because Hyper-V itself does not support Windows 7 in a Gen 2 VM.  The reason is that Windows 7 even when set up for UEFI boot maintains some Legacy BIOS dependencies, and a Hyper-V Gen 2 VM is a pure UEFI environment where those aren't allowed.  And since a GPT disk can't be booted in a Gen 1 VM either, there is no way to boot a Windows 7 UEFI environment on Hyper-V.

Edited 28 March 2018 3:52 PM by jphughan
ASiNET
ASiNET
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Thanks for your quick reply & yes, I am aware of the boot MBR/GPT issues.  My issue is that I have a Windows 2016 Standard VM I want to manage for test on a Windows 10 Pro workstation. & need GEN 2 to have access to USB devices.  Is there any way to convert GEN 1 to GEN 2?
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)
So the original source is a Legacy BIOS system with an MBR disk?  If so, then it would be a whole lot easier if you were using Windows 10 1709 (or Server 2016 Version 1709) where the MBR2GPT tool was introduced, but if not, conversion is possible, but involves some hoops to achieve in a VM environment.  If that's what you need to do, I would recommend skipping viBoot and just working with Hyper-V directly, doing the following:

- Create a new Gen 2 VM and make sure it will be able to access your Reflect image file, either through VM networking or by creating a new virtual disk, attaching it to your host, copying the image file into it, disconnecting it from the host, and then attaching it to the VM as a secondary disk.
- Boot the VM from your Reflect Rescue Media.  Make an ISO for this purpose if you haven't already.
- Follow this KB article that describes how to restore an image from a Legacy BIOS system such that it will boot in a UEFI environment.
- After running the restore and Fix Boot Problems as described above, also run ReDeploy.

Edited 28 March 2018 4:04 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...