Very slow transfer rate during imaging

Author
siringo
Junior Member (78 reputation)Junior Member (78 reputation)Junior Member (78 reputation)Junior Member (78 reputation)Junior Member (78 reputation)Junior Member (78 reputation)Junior Member (78 reputation)Junior Member (78 reputation)Junior Member (78 reputation)Junior Member (78 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I'm using Reflect v6.2.1549 to image an Acer B117M laptop with a 128GB SSD drive.
I'm imaging to a USB3 HDD.
The transfer rate is around 3-4Mbps and it's telling me it will take 20 hours to image.

Is there anything I can do to speed this up???
Froggie
Froggie
Master
Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)
There's clearly something wrong with the hardware configuration your using.  If that's really a USB3 HDD plugged into a USB3 port (not USB2), the transfer rate should be much more than that.  Even if the port is a USB2 the rate should be much higher.

You might wanna check transfer rates with just a decent sized copy of a large file using Windows Explorer. (a coupla gigabytes minimum).. just to compare.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)
Building on Froggie's suggestion above, try using Windows to transfer a large file rather than a collection of small files, or just benchmark your disk using the free CrystalDiskMark tool; you'll be interested in the figures on the top row.  If those speeds are low as well, try another USB cable.  If speeds are as expected there, do you have any third-party anti-virus running on your system?  Some solutions have been found to slow down or even completely prevent Reflect from performing image backups.

siringo
siringo
Junior Member (78 reputation)Junior Member (78 reputation)Junior Member (78 reputation)Junior Member (78 reputation)Junior Member (78 reputation)Junior Member (78 reputation)Junior Member (78 reputation)Junior Member (78 reputation)Junior Member (78 reputation)Junior Member (78 reputation)
Thank you both for your valuable help.
I'm not sure what was going on, I changed, the external disk to another & all good, maybe that disk is suspect.
Thanks again.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)
If it was that slow, then yes I would suspect the disk and probably retire it.  3-4 MB/s over USB 3 would be acceptable only if you were writing a bunch of tiny files, since file system overhead becomes quite severe in that scenario, but when writing a single large file as would be the case with Reflect, even if your target had massive file system fragmentation, it should be able to perform much better than that.  Glad it's sorted!

genem
genem
New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)
So, experiencing this issue all of a sudden I found my way to this thread.
For years I've been using a USB 3 connection to a HDD dock and would easily complete a backup reporting a overall completion speed of 1Gbp/s. I'm noticing now I can not exceed 374Mb/s.

Wondering whether something changed in this current release...

Update:  Found it!
When a differential completed today, it reported: Read speed: 1.8Gb and Write speed: 300Mb
I ran the InSpectre.exe utility and saw my system was:
Spectre & Meltdown Vulnerability and Performance Status
System is Meltdown protected: YES
System is Spectre protected: YES
Performance: SLOWER
CPUID: 206A7

That utility allows me to disable those protections, which I did:
Spectre & Meltdown Vulnerability and Performance Status
System is Meltdown protected: NO!
System is Spectre protected: NO!
Performance: GOOD
CPUID: 206A7
and my write speed went back to 1Gb/s

Wonderful... Sad

Edited 1 April 2018 5:32 PM by genem
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
@siringo any reason you're still on 6.2.1549 from 18 months ago rather than the current V6 release 6.3.1855?  As shown in the V6 release notes page, there have been some potentially important bugs fixed since then including a security vulnerability, and WinPE 10 1607 support was also introduced, which might be handy for Rescue Media.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search