Accessing protected folders when mounting images.... Denied Permission

Accessing protected folders when mounting images.... Denied Permission...
Author
PB2017
Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I'm just checking I have myself covered for a few scenarios and have also deciding if some other backups are redundant (they will be if I can resolve this issue)
​​I have mounted images a few times and recovered documents, pictures etc from them.
Today, I decided to check I could recover a game save for a game I play very infrequently.
I have traced the save file to a folder under the Application Data folder.
So I mounted my last image from earlier today, select access restricted folders and started to navigate to the folder
​I can easily​ access the folder under "live" Windows and can copy the file.
However I can't in the mounted image.
As soon as I try to open the Application Data folder (I'm typing it into the toolbar at the top of the screen in the shot below) I get

So I click continue. Then it states

So I click on the blue security tab link and select Everyone and give all rights, as shown below.

But it can't apply the rights. So I can't access files in restricted folders.

Now I feel I'm missing something here and I am logged in as an Administrator.​​​​​​​​​​​​
I'm sure I've done this before.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?​​

PB2017
PB2017
Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)
And I am using this method (right click in Explorer) to mount the image
https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/Browsing+Macrium+Reflect+images+and+backups+in+Windows+Explorer#BrowsingMacriumReflectimagesandbackupsinWindowsExplorer-MountinganimageinWindowsExplorer​

and same problem when I mount via the MR main program interface.

Images were verified when the were created.​​​​
Edited 25 March 2018 8:28 PM by PB2017
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.7K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.7K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.7K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.7K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.7K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.7K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.7K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.7K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.7K reputation)
Group: Administrators
PB2017 - 25 March 2018 8:26 PM
And I am using this method (right click in Explorer) to mount the image
https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/Browsing+Macrium+Reflect+images+and+backups+in+Windows+Explorer#BrowsingMacriumReflectimagesandbackupsinWindowsExplorer-MountinganimageinWindowsExplorer

and same problem when I mount via the MR main program interface.

Images were verified when the were created.

Hi

Please enable the option 'Enable access to restricted folders':

https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/Browsing+Macrium+Reflect+images+and+backups+in+Windows+Explorer

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

PB2017
PB2017
Hi

I did. Fifth line of the first post "So I mounted my last image from earlier today, select access restricted folders and started to navigate to the folder"

Sorry should have made that clearer before.

I've tried this 5 times now and hit the same issue each time...​
​​​​​

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.7K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.7K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.7K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.7K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.7K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.7K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.7K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.7K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.7K reputation)
Group: Administrators
PB2017 - 25 March 2018 8:38 PM
Hi

I did. Fifth line of the first post "So I mounted my last image from earlier today, select access restricted folders and started to navigate to the folder"

Sorry should have made that clearer before.

I've tried this 5 times now and hit the same issue each time...

Apologies for missing that. The driver that allows this operation must be being blocked or not installed.  Can you try a repair install of Reflect by going to the Control Panel, 'Add Remove Programs' and select selecting 'Modify' for the Macrium Reflect entry.  If that doesn't help then boot into Windows PE and browse the image there. You will have full access  in PE as that runs using the SYSTEM account. 

Alternatively, if you use the 'Make Writable' option you can change permissions ion the folders.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Edited 25 March 2018 8:49 PM by Nick
PB2017
PB2017
Nick - 25 March 2018 8:47 PM

Apologies for missing that. 

That's ok. Wasn't exactly clear in the opening post.

I did the modify option, rebooted as it requested and still no go. Same when I ​selected Make Writable as well.

TBH this windows installation has been playing up for the last week. Recovery environment has disappeared, SFC errors, Windows Updates won't install and now this.​​​​ Suspect I'll wait for the Spring Creators Edition to be released and do a clean install. If not, before.....

Thanks​​
PB2017
PB2017
I tried the PE environment and that works great! Thanks.

Then I discovered there is a folder called ApplicationData and another called AppData.

I needed the AppData one which, it turns out, I can access ​fine. The ApplicationData one throws the error.

For some reason I kept typing ApplicationData instead...... Doh!

Thanks for your help.​​​​​​​
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)
^ That was the key. Application Data isn’t actually a folder. It’s a shortcut of sorts to maintain compatibility with legacy applications developed before Windows Vista when the AppData folder was introduced. You’ll find a “Documents and Settings” quasi-folder for the same reason because Vista switched to a folder called Users, and the same thing within each profile folder for legacy paths like “My Documents” rather than the current Documents folder. I don’t know exactly how those work at a file system level, but browsing them doesn’t work as you’d expect, nor does trying to modify them. But as you’ve found, if you browse to the “true” path, you should be ok even in real Windows.
Edited 26 March 2018 3:44 PM by jphughan
PB2017
PB2017
Well. That explains that. I knew it was user error but couldn’t put my finger on it. I blame loosing an hour on Sunday.
Thanks all
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...