Remember last entered Target location when editing XML for File And Folder backups

Remember last entered Target location when editing XML for File And...
Author
dbminter
Advanced Member
Advanced Member (542 reputation)Advanced Member (542 reputation)Advanced Member (542 reputation)Advanced Member (542 reputation)Advanced Member (542 reputation)Advanced Member (542 reputation)Advanced Member (542 reputation)Advanced Member (542 reputation)Advanced Member (542 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
When you edit an existing File And Folder backup XML, Reflect automatically selects the first available optical disc drive as the Target drive.  Even when you edit this XML to reflect a different location, whenever you edit the XML, it still automatically selects the first optical drive as the Target drive.  Every time I'm backing up files/folders, I save the XML after each entry is added, in case I mess up.  If I choose a Target drive other than the first optical drive, I have to choose the same Target drive each time I edit the XML.  Regardless of if a different optical drive is selected or you select a Folder in the Destination, Reflect automatically selects the first available optical drive in the system.

This is somewhat of a pain, I will admit.  Please change this default behavior so that it doesn't automatically select the first optical drive as the Target folder.  Let the XML "save"/remember what the last Target drive was.

Thanks!

Froggie
Froggie
Guru
Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)
DB, I'm not quite sure what you're referring to here.  During the EDIT, the 1st Destination option is the folder field.  In both my v6 & v7 configurations, that field always remains the same as what it was first set to when it was set up... it never changes unless I make it change during the edit.  Is there something else I should be concerned with (I do not use writable optical media for this task)?
dbminter
dbminter
Advanced Member
Advanced Member (542 reputation)Advanced Member (542 reputation)Advanced Member (542 reputation)Advanced Member (542 reputation)Advanced Member (542 reputation)Advanced Member (542 reputation)Advanced Member (542 reputation)Advanced Member (542 reputation)Advanced Member (542 reputation)
Every time I edit the XML to add/remove folder locations, even if I check the box for Destination and enter a folder Destination, when I go in to edit it after saving it, it always selects the CD/DVD Burner check box and selects the first available drive in the optical drives drop down list.  Even if I save a Destination location, editing the XML always defaults to CD/DVD Burner.

It's done this ever since I can recall.

Ah, it must be the fault of the XML I've been using.  I've been using the same XML for several versions of Reflect, probably going back to 4.x.  I created a new XML, checked Destination, set a folder for the Destination, and saved the XML.  I edited the new test XML and it does as one would expect: it remembers the last option you set, not just CD/DVD Burner.

So, you're right.  When functionally normally Smile it behaves as you said, Froggie.  It just wasn't for me probably because of the age of the XML I was editing.

It seems I fixed this by simply recreating the XML.  So, it looks like this Wish List request can probably be ignored.  Smile

Thanks!

Edited 25 March 2018 9:03 PM by dbminter
Froggie
Froggie
Guru
Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)
Great, DB... I'm glad it's off your PITA list!
dbminter
dbminter
Advanced Member
What I said solved the problem did NOT solve the problem.  I went in to edit the XML and, as it always did before EXCEPT that one time I mentioned above, the first optical drive in the CD/DVD Burner list is selected as the default Target.

So, I am adding this to my Wish List again.

EDIT:

Ah, I've sussed it out!  I think.  Smile  What happens is if you select an optical disc Destination in either the Folder or CD/DVD Burner targets, the XML doesn't "save" the last optical disc target you selected.  If you save an optical disc Destination in Folder or CD/DVD Burner, whenever you edit the XML, it automatically selects CD/DVD Burner and the first optical disc in the drop down list of available optical drives.  If you select a Folder in Destination that is not on an optical disc, saving the XML will "remember" the last option used.

So, I need to edit my Wish List item for this slightly.  Please alter the XML saving behavior so that when you choose a Destination on an optical disc drive, Reflect "remembers" the last Destination entered.  Please do not have Reflect default to choosing CD/DVD Burner even when a CD/DVD drive is set in Folder for Destination and choose the first optical disc drive in the drop down list of available optical drives in CD/DVD Burner.  As another example, if someone sets an optical drive under CD/DVD Burner that is not the first option in the drop down list for CD/DVD Burner drives and saves the XML, have the XML remember the last drive entered and not default to the first optical drive in the drop down list when edited at a later time.

In the interim, what I am going to do from now on for all file and folder backups to optical disc drives is to set the Destination as a folder on my internal SATA HDD, then copy that file over to the optical disc in File Explorer, and perform a manual Verify on the contents.  I do that anyway for large backup sets in case the backup aborts for whatever reason.  It is quicker that way than, say, to get to 99% of a 2x BD-RE backup and spend an hour on the backup only to have it die.  And having to repeat the backup all over again.

Edited 26 March 2018 5:05 PM by dbminter
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...