Image Guardian not protecting images

Author
Blackrat
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi
Since the last update IG doesn't seem to be doing much.
I have it switched on but I can still move/delete images in Windows Explorer.

Is there something I'm missing or is it a problem I need to wait for a fix for.

Thanks.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)
I'm on the latest update on a Win10 1709 system and Image Guardian is working properly for me.  Does Image Guardian show as active on the drive where these images are located, as shown below?  If not, select the partition, click the Actions menu underneath, and enable it.

Edited 21 March 2018 4:21 PM by jphughan
Blackrat
Blackrat
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
I've checked and I do have IG turned on and the IG icon is where you show it to be.
I tried a test backup, rebooted and I was still able to rename and delete the .mrimg file.
Something is up, but I still don't know what, yet.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)
Does MIG protect image files if you confirm it’s enabled within Reflect and DON’T reboot? The reason I ask is that there’s another thread about MIG not starting up on reboot, and that thread includes an Event Viewer log entry showing the startup type of the MIG service was changed from Automatic to Disabled, although cause is not yet clear. I wonder if this might be related.
Blackrat
Blackrat
Thanks for the replies but I think I've narrowed it down a little.
Any .mrimg file on any internal drive or external USB drive is protected. IG working fine there.
But .mrimg files on my backup drive, which is a Synology NAS drive, are not protected and I can rename/delete them at will.

Is this usual or do I need to dig deeper?

Edited 24 March 2018 3:37 PM by Blackrat
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
MIG only works on local NTFS volumes. For a network share to be protected, it would have to be hosted from a Windows PC that had a paid version of Reflect 7.1 with MIG enabled. Or theoretically Synology could partner with Macrium to develop a MIG plugin for their NAS products. I think I remember a KB article saying Macrium was open to that. Anyhow, more info about MIG can be found at its KB article here: https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/plugins/servlet/mobile?contentId=8726408#content/view/8726408
Edited 24 March 2018 3:47 PM by jphughan
Blackrat
Blackrat
jphughan - 24 March 2018 3:43 PM
MIG only works on local NTFS volumes. For a network share to be protected, it would have to be hosted from a Windows PC that had a paid version of Reflect 7.1 with MIG enabled. Or theoretically Synology could partner with Macrium to develop a MIG plugin for their NAS products. I think I remember a KB article saying Macrium was open to that. Anyhow, more info about MIG can be found at its KB article here: https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/plugins/servlet/mobile?contentId=8726408#content/view/8726408

Thanks
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...