Image fails to restore--windows 10 repair loop.

Author
Sherman39
New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
HP replaced the SSD in my laptop as it was failing.They returned it with a new SSD and windows 10 re-installed.
When I tried to restore my programs and data from my most recent full image it seemed Ok but Windows 10 gave messages, when starting up, about repairing that went around in a loop.
Thinking perhaps there was a problem with the image I was trying to restore I used an earlier one and it installed Ok and my laptop is working fine.
A minor problem is that the backup that restored successfully was several weeks earlier than the one that failed, which was only a week old.
I noted when looking at the image IDs that whereas all my previous full image IDs commenced with a number the full image that failed commenced its ID with the letter A.
Is this likely to have made a difference and if so is there anything I can do about it?

Regards

Paul

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)
The Image ID is randomly generated every time a new Full is created; the initial character doesn't matter.  Initially I thought you meant that all of your previous images had the exact same Image ID whereas only the new one was different, but rereading your post I see that's not the case because you were looking at multiple Fulls and a new Image ID is generated with every Full, so I've edited my own post here.

In terms of why the restore from your most recent image is failing, make sure you're restoring the entire disk from the source image onto the destination, not just the C drive.  If you already did that, have you tried going back into Rescue after the restore and running the Fix Boot Problems function?  In the worst case, if you can only get that older image to restore, you would still be able to "browse" the most recent image within Windows.  That will cause it to mount as a virtual disk, at which point you can copy/paste any data you need from that image onto your system that was restored from the older image.  Application installations can't be recovered like this of course, but at least you'd have your most recent data.

Edited 11 March 2018 9:39 PM by jphughan
Sherman39
Sherman39
New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)
jphughan - 11 March 2018 8:44 PM
The Image ID is randomly generated every time a new Full is created; the initial character doesn't matter.  Initally I thought you meant that all of your previous images had the exact same Image ID whereas only the new one was different, but rereading your post I see that's not the case because you were looking at multiple Fulls and a new Image ID is generated with every Full, so I've edited my own post here.

In terms of why the restore from your most recent image is failing, make sure you're restoring the entire disk from the source image onto the destination, not just the C drive.  If you already did that, have you tried going back into Rescue after the restore and running the Fix Boot Problems function?  In the worst worst case, if you can only get that older image to restore, you would still be able to "browse" the most recent image within Windows.  That will cause it to mount as a virtual disk, at which point you can copy/paste any data you need from that image onto your system that was restored from the older image.  Application installations can't be recovered like this of course, but at least you'd have your most recent data.

Thank you for a most informative and helpful response.
As it happens my data is not an issue.It was an application that I wanted to restore but I should be able to download and install it again.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...