Dual boot question

Author
Ho72
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have recently created a dual boot with WIn 8.1 and 10. I have the ability to run a Reflect restore from within Win 8 because I added the boot menu option using that OS. I would also like to have that capability in Win 10. If I create the boot menu option in Win 10, will that mess up my ability to run a Reflect restore from within Win 8?
Thanks.
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)
The boot menu option doesn't actually run inside Win8.  It's actually a completely separate OS environment, except the files happen to live on the same partition as whatever OS you enabled it from.  The reason you can still restore the partition where those files reside is because the Rescue environment loads entirely into RAM, which allows that partition to be overwritten even though you booted from it.  But that environment is also NOT limited to being able to restore only your Win8 partition; it can perform restores (and for that matter backups) of any partition on any disk that it can see.  In that regard it's just like having regular Rescue Media, and the reason is that you're actually booting from the exact same set of files that Reflect uses to create Rescue Media, so there's no need to enable another boot menu recovery environment in your Win10 installation.

On a side note, make sure you still keep external Rescue Media on a disc or flash drive for emergencies because if your restore ever fails, your boot menu recovery files may not be there for you to boot from again.  Same goes if you have a significant disk or file system issue, or are restoring onto an empty disk.

Edited 8 March 2018 2:23 PM by jphughan
Ho72
Ho72
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Hi,
Thanks for taking the time to reply, but my question was not answered due to my not being clear. When I said I could run a restore from within Win 8, what I meant was that while Windows is running, I can launch Reflect, select the Restore tab, choose an image file (of the active partition), click on "restore image" and then Reflect will automatically reboot (Automatic Boot) into the restore environment, complete the task and then reboot back into the newly restored partition — all without using the  boot menu.

I hope that made sense. I'm trying to recall the steps from memory since I'm not using my home computer at the moment.

However I cannot invoke a restore from within Windows 10. Reflect tells me this is because I have not created the boot menu option, which is true for that particular partition and OS. Can I have the same functionality simultaneously in Win 10 as I have in Win 8 or, if I create a boot menu option from Win 10 will that cause me to lose it in Win 8?

HERE is what I want to be able to do regardless of which OS I have booted up (glad I searched before I posted).

jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)
Ok yes, if you want to be able to "stage" a restore from within your Win10 environment, then you'll need to enable the boot menu recovery option there.  I don't know if that will affect your Win8 environment since I haven't dual booted Windows in quite a long time.  But if you're worried about it, at least you've got Reflect backups! Smile  Or if you don't want to risk it, remember that you can always boot into the boot menu recovery environment directly and then set up your restore from start to finish entirely in that interface.  It looks almost identical to what you see within real Windows anyway, so it's not really any more difficult to do that way compared to starting it within Windows.

Ho72
Ho72
jphughan - 8 March 2018 5:32 PM
Ok yes, if you want to be able to "stage" a restore from within your Win10 environment, then you'll need to enable the boot menu recovery option there.  I don't know if that will affect your Win8 environment since I haven't dual booted Windows in quite a long time.  But if you're worried about it, at least you've got Reflect backups! Smile  Or if you don't want to risk it, remember that you can always boot into the boot menu recovery environment directly and then set up your restore from start to finish entirely in that interface.  It looks almost identical to what you see within real Windows anyway, so it's not really any more difficult to do that way compared to starting it within Windows.
Thanks. If I give it a try I'll report my results.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...