How to willfully avoid consolidation in a GFS scheme?

Author
RefDM
Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I find Macrium's automatic consolidation as a great feature and I really appreciate it.

However, a few times I have come across to a situation where consolidation seems to take more time than I'd like to spend for it. I mean, in those situations I'd rather "waste" some disk space to save time and get the backup finished faster.

So, in a GFS scheme in some situations for example, I'd be ready to skip the consolidation, and let the retention rules to eventually clean up the useless "leftover" incrementals that are older than e.g. the most recent differential (or whatever my retention rule is).

I wonder if there is a practical way to achieve this?

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)
Duplicate your definition file and in the duplicate copy, remove the schedule entries and then uncheck the Incremental retention policy so Reflect allows Incrementals to grow without restriction.  When you want to avoid consolidation, run the job using that definition file instead.  When you go back to your normal job, Reflect will consolidate multiple Incs if required in order to bring your set back into compliance -- but of course that means you're just deferring the time required to perform the consolidation to some future point, not saving any time overall.

Edited 8 March 2018 2:12 PM by jphughan
Froggie
Froggie
Master
Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)
I do this quite often with my existing GFS definition file.  When I don't want this to occur at its normal time, I just quickly EDIT my existing definition and unCHECK the Incremental retention capability (this is the only area where "consolidation" occurs) and reSAVE the definition.  The next GFS cycle will not consolidate Incrementals.  This, of couse, only solves the consolidation issues, not the overall GFS retention issues.  If the next cycle calls for a new FULL or new DIFF, they will be created with their individual retention active.

If you need to stop all retention actions as well as consolidations, just unCHECK all retention actions during the definition edit.  This edit only takes a few seconds to perform and may be reversed at your leisure (when you want it all active once again).  Your existing backup schedule will continue as expected albeit without retention/consolidation active.  When you return to your previous retention values, Reflect will very nicely apply defined retention as well as complete any needed consolidation actions... the process works very nicely.
Edited 8 March 2018 2:45 PM by Froggie
Froggie
Froggie
Master
Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)
RefDM - 8 March 2018 8:37 AM
I find Macrium's automatic consolidation as a great feature and I really appreciate it.

However, a few times I have come across to a situation where consolidation seems to take more time than I'd like to spend for it. I mean, in those situations I'd rather "waste" some disk space to save time and get the backup finished faster.

RefDM, normally that process shouldn't affect you very much at all.  If you're waiting for the consolidation to occur before you move forward with your work, that really isn't necessary.  The process allows you to continue to work without issue as far as the System is concerned.

If the storage input/output processing of the Reflect work seems to be affecting your System response, this may be mitigated somewhat with a SETTINGs change.  While in Reflect, use menu item "Other tasks/Edit defaults/Priority" and change the offered PRIORITY slider to its lowest value, then OK your new settings value.  This should allow the Reflect process to minimize its affect on your ongoing interactive work.

Edited 8 March 2018 2:41 PM by Froggie
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...