Macrium Business (Free) registration unsure

Author
peter09aug2016
New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I know there is no support for Macrium Free, but it is kind of Sale question, regarding Macrium Free Business

Is it allowed to use the same installer on more than one machine, or is it mandatory to register and download on every machine, in the same business (with four PC at all).

Macrium Free Business is very perfect due to its excellent trusted reliability, and as all I need most of the time is full and diff images.

(if the question gets deleted, I'll mail sales&licensing, but in that case I'd prefer just an edit of my inappropriate question).

I even would pay (donate) as I do for other free software, but prefer not  to keep track of licenses as I'm not well organized for it.

Thanks.

Edited 6 March 2018 2:23 PM by peter09aug2016
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)
Even people using the licensed version of Reflect sometimes store a copy of the installer.  The download agent asks for your license key, but it does not get embedded into the installer file itself, so there's absolutely no problem storing the installer file and reusing it on multiple PCs with the paid or free version.  And registration is always completely optional.  You can definitely download the Free version once and install it on multiple PCs, and you can register them or not, whichever you prefer.

Edited 6 March 2018 2:53 PM by jphughan
peter09aug2016
peter09aug2016
New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)
jphughan - 6 March 2018 2:51 PM
Even people using the licensed version of Reflect sometimes store a copy of the installer.  The download agent asks for your license key, but it does not get embedded into the installer file itself, so there's absolutely no problem storing the installer file and reusing it on multiple PCs with the paid or free version.  And registration is always completely optional.  You can definitely download the Free version once and install it on multiple PCs, and you can register them or not, whichever you prefer.

thank you, but it seems not exactly the case with version 7.1 (Macrium Reflect Free). The installer of 7.1 free (downloaded as home) still asks whether it is home or business use. In the business case it asks for mandatory registration which I will do in the business case. But I'm unsure whether already at the download stage I do have to register and the installer becomes ear-marked. I'm really grateful for business free and would like to abide by the rules of Macrium.
(these are not yet use cases, but exploring it).

Edited 6 March 2018 4:35 PM by peter09aug2016
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)
peter09aug2016 - 6 March 2018 4:28 PM

thank you, but it seems not exactly the case with version 7.1 (Macrium Reflect Free). The installer of 7.1 free (downloaded as home) still asks whether it is home or business use. In the business case it asks for mandatory registration which I will do in the business case. But I'm unsure whether already at the download stage I do have to register and the installer becomes ear-marked. I'm really grateful for business free and would like to abide by their rules.

Apologies, it does indeed appear that things have changed; if you select "Commercial", the fields are mandatory.  In that case I guess you should populate it on all installations, but you can still reuse the same downloaded install file.  However, I'm confused by you saying "the installer of 7.1 Free (downloaded as Home)".  Reflect 7.1 Home and Reflect 7.1 Free can be downloaded using the same download agent file, named ReflectDL.exe (as opposed to ReflectDLFull.exe, which can't download the Free version), but under the "Choose Edition" item you can choose whether you want Home or Free, and that choice affects the install file you get.  The Home installer file name contains "home_setup", whereas the Free version contains "setup_free".

peter09aug2016
peter09aug2016
jphughan - 6 March 2018 4:41 PM

thank you, but it seems not exactly the case with version 7.1 (Macrium Reflect Free). The installer of 7.1 free (downloaded as home) still asks whether it is home or business use. In the business case it asks for mandatory registration which I will do in the business case. But I'm unsure whether already at the download stage I do have to register and the installer becomes ear-marked. I'm really grateful for business free and would like to abide by their rules.

Apologies, it does indeed appear that things have changed; if you select "Commercial", the fields are mandatory.  In that case I guess you should populate it on all installations, but you can still reuse the same downloaded install file.  However, I'm confused by you saying "the installer of 7.1 Free (downloaded as Home)".  Reflect 7.1 Home and Reflect 7.1 Free can be downloaded using the same download agent file, named ReflectDL.exe (as opposed to ReflectDLFull.exe, which can't download the Free version), but under the "Choose Edition" item you can choose whether you want Home or Free, and that choice affects the install file you get.  The Home installer file name contains "home_setup", whereas the Free version contains "setup_free".

the file name I refer to is ReflectDLHF 7.1.exe ( 7.1 added by me, original just ReflectDLHF.exe). Maybe I should really ask per mail what are the rules and implications.

Edited 6 March 2018 6:03 PM by peter09aug2016
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)
Group: Administrators
peter09aug2016 - 6 March 2018 5:05 PM
jphughan - 6 March 2018 4:41 PM

the file name I refer to is ReflectDLHF 7.1.exe ( 7.1 added by me, original just ReflectDLHF.exe). Maybe I should really ask per mail what are the rules and implications.

Hi

The commercial business free down-loader is ReflectDLBF.exe.  The link to download is emailed when you select 'Business Use' on the Reflect Free page:

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

You can freely use Free Edition installer on as many PCs as you wish. Just copy the setup file 'v7.x.xxxx_reflect_setup_free_x64.exe' and run it on other PCs. Windows PE component files will be downloaded on demand or you can copy the PE zip file to the same location as the setup file as well. . 

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

peter09aug2016
peter09aug2016
Thank you for all  the information.

BF required mail verification which I happily have done, and then it is very friendly to use.

Edited 6 March 2018 10:49 PM by peter09aug2016
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...