Consolidation to Full Backup possible?

Author
TohM
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,
Over the past months I have used Macrium Reflect to backup my essential files daily to an external disk using a "Grandfather/Father/Son" plan; consequently my backup medium now contains a bunch of Full, Differential and Incremental backup files.

Now I am planning to replace my computer and to start over on the new computer with a new backup plan. I want to keep just the oldest full backup and a Full backup of the latest status quo, which could be built, as I understand it, from the latest Full, Differential, and Incremental backups.

However, I don't seem to be able to find a menu option for consolidating a Full backup from a given Incremental file and its corresponding "Father" and "Grandfather" files. Is this at all possible?

Thanks,
TohM

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Reflect allows consolidating Incrementals together and also allows consolidating Incrementals into a Full, but the latter is only allowed for backup sets that do not contain any Differentials.  The reason for this restriction is that if Reflect allowed consolidating Differentials into a Full, then after doing so, any other Differentials that may still exist in your set would be rendered unusable because you would have just modified the Full on which they were all based, and therefore any Incs based on those "orphaned" Diffs would now also be useless.  Obviously that's not an issue if you only have one Diff left, but Macrium took the safety approach here.  But if you had a set that included only a Full and Incrementals, Macrium offers a standalone Consolidate.exe utility here for this purpose.

In your case, your options for retaining the "latest status quo" would be to either a) keep the newest Full plus the newest Diff plus a single consolidated Inc, or b) manually perform a new Full.

Edited 5 March 2018 1:14 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...