How do you do an incremental backup from a rescue disc

Author
phrab
Talented Member
Talented Member (163 reputation)Talented Member (163 reputation)Talented Member (163 reputation)Talented Member (163 reputation)Talented Member (163 reputation)Talented Member (163 reputation)Talented Member (163 reputation)Talented Member (163 reputation)Talented Member (163 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have recently made a rescue disc for Windows XP that doesn't require a keypress to load, thanks to jphughan.  I regularly use a synthetic full backup procedure & retain 7 incrementals, which is scheduled to run during the night.  I wanted to create an additional incremental backup today, using the rescue disc.  However, there didn't seem to be an option for it on the rescue disk.

I was able to do it directly in Windows, just by opening Reflect & choosing to run my backup.  In fact, unlike Windows 10, Reflect did the backup on an external drive without having to reboot & without using WinPE.

Is there a way to choose an incremental backup from the rescue disc?

Thank you

Phil
Windows 10 Pro
Windows XP- SP-3

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)
Go to the Restore tab, select the backup from which you wish to create an Incremental (click the "Folders to search" link and add the folder containing your backups if you don't already see them), then go to Other Actions > Create Incremental. Smile  The issue is that the Rescue environment won't necessarily have access to your definition files, so Macrium created this mechanism to allow users to say, "Create an Incremental backup based on the settings of this existing backup" rather than "according to the settings in this definition file".

But what do you mean "unlike Windows 10, Reflect did the backup on an external drive without having to reboot & without using WinPE"?  Reflect should never have to reboot or go into WinPE to perform a backup; that should only occur if you try to start a restore that includes your OS partition.

Edited 5 March 2018 1:50 AM by jphughan
phrab
phrab
Talented Member
Talented Member (163 reputation)Talented Member (163 reputation)Talented Member (163 reputation)Talented Member (163 reputation)Talented Member (163 reputation)Talented Member (163 reputation)Talented Member (163 reputation)Talented Member (163 reputation)Talented Member (163 reputation)
jphughan - 5 March 2018 1:39 AM
Go to the Restore tab, select the backup from which you wish to create an Incremental (click the "Folders to search" link and add the folder containing your backups if you don't already see them), then go to Other Actions > Create Incremental. Smile  The issue is that the Rescue environment won't necessarily have access to your definition files, so Macrium created this mechanism to allow users to say, "Create an Incremental backup based on the settings of this existing backup" rather than "according to the settings in this definition file".

But what do you mean "unlike Windows 10, Reflect did the backup on an external drive without having to reboot & without using WinPE"?  Reflect should never have to reboot or go into WinPE to perform a backup; that should only occur if you try to start a restore that includes your OS partition.

Thanks again for this information!  I was able to do it & didn't realize that you had to do it from the restore tab.

And, yes, I confused backup & restore.  And I confused my previous software (Acronis True Image) with Reflect.  I seem to recall, in Windows XP, that I could start a restore in Windows without any rescue disc, & the rest would happen automatically.  With Reflect, at least in Windows 10, I get a message that I have to reboot to continue the restore.

Phil
Windows 10 Pro
Windows XP- SP-3

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)
I don't really see how you could start a restore job that included your OS partition while the OS is running.  It seems like you would always have to reboot into another environment to do that.  However, you can perform that type of restore without external Rescue Media if you enable the boot menu recovery option, since that allows you to boot into a Rescue environment from files that reside on your hard drive rather than from a disc/USB device.  The risk though is that if the restore fails, you won't be able to boot into Rescue that way again. Other scenarios where the boot menu recovery option would likely/certainly be unavailable include a significant file system problem and of course needing to restore an image onto a brand new disk after a hardware failure. So even if you start using that the boot menu recovery option as your primary Rescue environment, you should still only consider it an additional convenience, not a replacement for external Rescue Media.

Edited 5 March 2018 2:24 AM by jphughan
phrab
phrab
Talented Member
jphughan - 5 March 2018 2:24 AM
I don't really see how you could start a restore job that included your OS partition while the OS is running.  It seems like you would always have to reboot into another environment to do that.  However, you can perform that type of restore without external Rescue Media if you enable the boot menu recovery option, since that allows you to boot into a Rescue environment from files that reside on your hard drive rather than from a disc/USB device.  The risk though is that if the restore fails, you won't be able to boot into Rescue that way again. Other scenarios where the boot menu recovery option would likely/certainly be unavailable include a significant file system problem and of course needing to restore an image onto a brand new disk after a hardware failure. So even if you start using that the boot menu recovery option as your primary Rescue environment, you should still only consider it an additional convenience, not a replacement for external Rescue Media.

Thanks again for this information.  I didn't mean to imply that I could restore my OS while it's running.  True Image must have had something akin to "boot menu recovery option", where you load the software, tell it to restore, & then walk away while it reboots & restores.  Once I started the restore process, I didn't stay by the computer.  Of course, alternatively, my memory could be failing.Sad

Phil
Windows 10 Pro
Windows XP- SP-3

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
I believe Reflect will do that too if the boot menu option is enabled, but I admittedly haven’t tried it.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...