Inconsistent Backup Errors - SBS2011

Author
iwj2017
New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
We run macrium on a number of 2011 servers - and this is the first time we are seeing this behaviour 
We are running server version 7.1.2917 
Incremental forever 3 times a day 8am/13.00/18.00 to a synology nas (no issue with permissions or access)

first odd error is we can the macrium prompt that a backup definition is starting but the progress bar that hides down under the clock is nowhere to be seen - so we have no idea at what stage the backup is at - we can see the progress if we run the backup manually from the schedule list

second odd error is server hasnt been rebooted for a few days yet 1 incremental uses vss fine the next will fail and revert to backing up without vss and then might be successful for 3-4 times before randomly failing again

8am succesful backup shows
Creating Volume Snapshot - Please Wait
Volume Snapshots Created
Analyzing file system on volume
Analyzing file system on volume C:
Analyzing file system on volume E:

13:00 succesful backup shows
Failed: Failed - 0x8000ffff - Retrying without VSS Writers
Success
Volume Snapshots Created

we also get the following fail
Starting Image - Saturday, March 03, 2018 13:05:30
Initializing
Destination Drive: Free Space 2.09 TB
Free space threshold: Delete oldest backup sets when free space is less than 50.00 GB
Failed: Failed - 0x80042302 - Retrying without VSS Writers
ERROR: COM call "m_pVssObject->InitializeForBackup()" failed.
- Returned HRESULT = 0x80042302
- Error text:
ERROR: COM call "m_pVssObject->BackupComplete(&pAsync)" failed.
- Returned HRESULT = 0x80042301
- Error text: VSS_E_BAD_STATE
ERROR: COM call "m_pVssObject->InitializeForBackup()" failed.
- Returned HRESULT = 0x80042302
- Error text:
Gathering Windows Events - Please Wait

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Backup aborted! - Failed To Create Volume Snapshot. Failed - 0x80042302
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)
Not sure what's causing either of those issues, but even if you can't see the Reflect system tray icon, you may still be able to access the Activity Monitor window by pressing Ctrl+Alt+M.  If you use that shortcut for something else, that mapping can be changed.  And actually, that just led me to find a minor bug that I'll be creating a new thread about.

Edited 4 March 2018 6:24 AM by jphughan
iwj2017
iwj2017
New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)
i can confirm that ctrl + Alt + m does show the progress - so thats great news - i just await news on the continuous errors

i have also tried running the fix vss option with little success
iwj2017
iwj2017
so im back with the same issues - on the same server

randomly backup fails with the following

after this - backups are successful but have the following error

Starting Image - Sunday, March 25, 2018 18:01:13
Initializing
Destination Drive: Free Space 1.49 TB
Free space threshold: Delete oldest backup sets when free space is less than 50.00 GB

Failed: Failed - 0x8000ffff - Retrying without VSS Writers
Success

Volume Snapshots Created

is a support ticket required to get to the bottom of this?
iwj2017
iwj2017
this has now escalated - to the point where we need files back from one of our server backups - and mounting the error just bsod crashes the server and a second workstation i have used to mount the server backup - support ticket raised back on the 12th still waiting on some useful help
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)
In case you don't have Macrium's 24/7 Premium Support and therefore don't hear back immediately seeing as it's Saturday, my only suggestion to address the immediate need would be to try to mount that backup on a bog standard Windows installation.  A BSOD on two different PCs while just trying to mount a backup file suggests to me that there might be some application common to both of the systems you're testing with that's interfering with the driver that Reflect uses for mounting images, so if possible I would try to get a totally clean Windows environment (not from a corporate image) and just install Reflect Free onto it.  Obviously that's just a workaround for now, but hopefully it works and gets you what you need in the short term until the underlying cause can be investigated and hopefully identified.

For the VSS timeout error you mentioned, that's a VSS error, not a Reflect error.  Does the VSS log indicate which writer(s) did not complete their work within the allotted time period?  I believe there's also a registry key you can set that will allow Reflect to wait longer for a VSS snapshot to complete, which might be necessary based on the nature of some VSS-aware applications on the server, but first it would be good to know what writer(s) are currently not completing in time to determine whether extending the timeout is actually necessary or whether the failure to complete quickly is a symptom of some other problem with the VSS writer or VSS-aware application.  If you want to post your VSS log, I would recommend attaching it as a text file (Insert button under the post box > Add File) rather than just pasting the text straight into a post.

Edited 14 April 2018 10:12 PM by jphughan
iwj2017
iwj2017
so apologies im updating this old post backup - as i have macrium support attempt to investigate this - as it developed into also unable to browse any of the backups that had been created on this server - when you browse the file in reflect - the application would hang and the server blue screens - i then see that macrium have issued a notice re incremental images being corrupt even though verify works - is it possible this is whats affecting this server (i wasnt running any of the noted affected versions)

anyway this morning i have patched this reflect version to the newest and now see the following red icon - never seen this before

any ideas?

thanks
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
The corrupt backup issue only applies to the builds noted in the KB article that were released beginning April 17, and only when CBT was used, so it wouldn’t account for the issues you reported prior to then. The icon in the screenshot pertains to Macrium Image Guardian, and I’ve seen that very occasionally after updating or after doing a clean install but before rebooting. In all cases, restarting has resolved it.
Edited 4 May 2018 10:55 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...