Placing Back-up files on the correct drive

Author
harrymacrium
New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
jp:

A new issue has surfaced, relative to where Reflect places back-up image files that I create. Windows 7 is my OS. Before any of the following, I updated Reflect on my desktop computer to V7.1.2917.

To recap, all of my Reflect backups for my desktop computer were placed on a 1TB internal drive, D:. I just bought a 4TB internal drive because I was running out of room on D:, and my plan is to move all my Reflect backups from D: to F:. I also have a USB external 1TB drive, which, based on your suggestion, will be used to retain copies of the latest few Reflect backups from all 3 of my computers, but will only be connected to my desktop computer/network when I copy Reflect files to it. I also plan to use F: as the location for my backups from my Win 7 laptop, as well as my XP desktop. Previously in the 'Rescue Media error message' thread, you explained the problems with an XP backup to a GPT drive, but since the transfer is over my network, all is OK.

So using Explorer, I have copied all of the Reflect backup files (on my desktop Win 7 computer) that I plan to keep from D: to F:. As soon as I run another Full backup, I will change the Reflect drive setting to F:, and then delete all my backup files on D:.

Currently I am running Differential backups, which do not give me the option (at least that I can find) as to which drive and file location I can place the backup on. Since the last Full backup was on D: then I assumed the Differential I created yesterday would be placed on D:, and it was.

However, when I look at the Image Restore screen (1st attachment-Reflect_ImageRestoreFileListE.png), all of the previous Full & Differential backups are now listed on drive F:. The latest Differential, which was created on D:, does not appear on this list. But as soon as I copied, using Explorer, my latest Differential from D: to F:, it now also appears on the list.

So question #1 is: Why does this screen show these files as being on F:, when they were all created to be placed on D:? I assume after I run another Full backup with the drive setting for F:, this problem will be moot.

Now look at attachment #2 (Reflect_ImageBackupCommentE.png). On Explorer, I now display a Backup Comment column. This attachment shows the comment I wrote with the Differential backup. But when I first opened Explorer (which I didn't print, unfortunately), the Backup Comment said something to the effect that I should visit a specific website. I recorded the name of that website, and attachment #3 (Reflect_BackupCommentMessageE.png) is it. As soon as I refreshed Windows, I got the Backup Comment shown in attachment #2.

So question #2 is: why did I get a message regarding the LogicNP Software website? Is this a tool that Reflect uses?

I also checked the VSS Log for my latest Differential backup, and clicked on the Windows Event Viewer. Look at attachment #4 (Reflect_LogErrorE.png). I got this Microsoft error message, but the time of the error is about 10 minutes after the backup was completed.

Question #3 is: What does this error message mean, and should I be concerned?

Also, based on the issue shown in attachment #1, I assume my external USB 1TB drive (which is the offsite backup), should NOT be connect to the computer while Reflect is actually creating a backup?

And last, I have not yet created a new Windows PE rescue media, as the Bug Fixes list for V7.1.2917 recommends. From our previous thread, it was not clear to me if, after creating the new rescue media, I need to again do the 'Add Recovery Boot Menu Option?

Harry

Attachments
Reflect_ImageRestoreFileListE.png (2 views, 40.00 KB)
Reflect_BackupCommentMessageE.png (0 views, 27.00 KB)
Reflect_LogErrorE.png (1 view, 19.00 KB)
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)
You're overthinking this quite a bit here.  If you want to migrate your backups onto a new drive and have new backups created on the new drive going forward, here is what you do:

1. Copy the desired backup files from the outgoing drive to the new one.
2. Edit your definition file to change the destination to the folder on the new drive where your backups now reside.  You do NOT have to create a new Full backup manually at that point.  Reflect will be perfectly happy to carry on creating Diffs and Incs using the existing backup files even after they've been moved to a new location.
3. Under the Restore tab, click the "Folders to search" link.  You can have both the old and new locations listed there, but you cannot have both checked at the same time.  That may be where your confusion is arising.  Macrium specifically warns that Reflect should never be allowed to see multiple copies of the same backup files at the same time because it can lead to strange results, such as incorrect display of available backups.  Another user found that under this condition, choosing to delete a backup shown as residing in one location caused Reflect to ALSO delete the corresponding copy of that file in the second location as well.

I'm not sure what you mean that Diff backups don't give you the option to specify which drive the backup should be created on.  If you're using a definition file, you right-click the definition file, select Run Now > Differential (or wait for a scheduled Diff to run) and the Diff will be created at the destination specified in the definition file, assuming a Full is available there from which to build a Diff -- if not, then Reflect will create a Full at that location.  If you're creating a Diff by selecting an existing backup under the Restore tab and clicking More Actions > Create Differential, then the Diff will be created in the same folder as the backup you selected -- although perhaps not if you have multiple copies of the same backups shown, so address that first.  Either way, Reflect always requires Diffs to reside in the same folder as their parent Full; you can't say, "Create a Diff on Drive F based on a Full that exists on Drive D", for example, if that's what you wanted.

For your boot menu recovery option, after you update Reflect to a new version, just step through the Create Rescue Media wizard.  On the final step, after a few seconds you should see a dialog pop up telling you to update your Rescue Media files.  If so, click Continue there, then click Next to perform the rebuild operation.  If not, click the Rebuild button, then click Next.  Either way, at that point your boot menu recovery files will have been updated; there's no need to do anything under "Add Recovery Boot Menu Option".  You may also of course wish to update your "external" disc/USB Rescue Media at that point, but if not, you can just cancel the wizard at that point since the rebuild is all you needed for the boot menu option.  You can verify the update by booting into the boot menu option and checking the Reflect version displayed in the title bar at the top of the interface.

The website mentioned in the Comment field in Explorer is apparently a bug with some sort of module that Macrium licensed from another developer to provide that functionality.  It's come up a few times here (can't find the threads at the moment), and if memory serves, Macrium has not been successful contacting the developer of that module.

No idea about that VSS error, but if Reflect says your backup succeeded and didn't throw any warnings about VSS in the log of the job itself, then your backup is good.  Someone more knowledgeable about VSS than myself would have to help you troubleshoot that if you see it frequently and you're determined to fix it.

Edited 3 March 2018 7:38 PM by jphughan
harrymacrium
harrymacrium
New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)
jphughan - 3 March 2018 7:15 PM
You're overthinking this quite a bit here.  If you want to migrate your backups onto a new drive and have new backups created on the new drive going forward, here is what you do:

1. Copy the desired backup files from the outgoing drive to the new one.
2. Edit your definition file to change the destination to the folder on the new drive where your backups now reside.  You do NOT have to create a new Full backup manually at that point.  Reflect will be perfectly happy to carry on creating Diffs and Incs using the existing backup files even after they've been moved to a new location.
3. Under the Restore tab, click the "Folders to search" link.  You can have both the old and new locations listed there, but you cannot have both checked at the same time.  That may be where your confusion is arising.  Macrium specifically warns that Reflect should never be allowed to see multiple copies of the same backup files at the same time because it can lead to strange results, such as incorrect display of available backups.  Another user found that under this condition, choosing to delete a backup shown as residing in one location caused Reflect to ALSO delete the corresponding copy of that file in the second location as well.

I'm not sure what you mean that Diff backups don't give you the option to specify which drive the backup should be created on.  If you're using a definition file, you right-click the definition file, select Run Now > Differential (or wait for a scheduled Diff to run) and the Diff will be created at the destination specified in the definition file, assuming a Full is available there from which to build a Diff -- if not, then Reflect will create a Full at that location.  If you're creating a Diff by selecting an existing backup under the Restore tab and clicking More Actions > Create Differential, then the Diff will be created in the same folder as the backup you selected -- although perhaps not if you have multiple copies of the same backups shown, so address that first.  Either way, Reflect always requires Diffs to reside in the same folder as their parent Full; you can't say, "Create a Diff on Drive F based on a Full that exists on Drive D", for example, if that's what you wanted.

For your boot menu recovery option, after you update Reflect to a new version, just step through the Create Rescue Media wizard.  On the final step, after a few seconds you should see a dialog pop up telling you to update your Rescue Media files.  If so, click Continue there, then click Next to perform the rebuild operation.  If not, click the Rebuild button, then click Next.  Either way, at that point your boot menu recovery files will have been updated; there's no need to do anything under "Add Recovery Boot Menu Option".  You may also of course wish to update your "external" disc/USB Rescue Media at that point, but if not, you can just cancel the wizard at that point since the rebuild is all you needed for the boot menu option.  You can verify the update by booting into the boot menu option and checking the Reflect version displayed in the title bar at the top of the interface.

The website mentioned in the Comment field in Explorer is apparently a bug with some sort of module that Macrium licensed from another developer to provide that functionality.  It's come up a few times here (can't find the threads at the moment), and if memory serves, Macrium has not been successful contacting the developer of that module.

No idea about that VSS error, but if Reflect says your backup succeeded and didn't throw any warnings about VSS in the log of the job itself, then your backup is good.  Someone more knowledgeable about VSS than myself would have to help you troubleshoot that if you see it frequently and you're determined to fix it.

jp:

Boy that was fast!
1. That step was done before I wrote.
2. That is the step I missed. I didn't catch the 'Edit' on the drop down menu. Changed it to F: (new drive).
3. Thanks for that tip. There were actually 3 entries: two on D: (old drive) and one on F: (new drive). I unchecked the two on D:  .

>> If you're using a definition file, you right-click the definition file, select Run Now > Differential .......<<
The location is now fixed in #2, above. But I use the Run Now-> Prompt option that you showed me, because that is the only way I can add backup comments to my Diff file.

>>For your boot menu recovery option, after you update Reflect to a new version, just step through the Create Rescue Media wizard.<<
Thanks for explaining that again. I'll do that later.

Re: the Comment field. At least I was not dreaming when I got this message. It will be interesting to see if I ever get it again.

I won't worry about the VSS error. After your note, I checked some previous VSS Log files. On all of the ones I checked, including the one I sent, the error only happens if the end time is set AFTER the backup finished AND 'All Events' is selected [which is the default]. All of them are Microsoft Windows errors,  On previous VSS Log files, when I opened them, the end time listed was when the Reflect backup ended. For some reason, on the example I sent, it was several minutes after the backup ended. When I went back and set the end time to maybe 30 seconds after the backup ended, no error message occurs.

Harry

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...