One drive refuses to allow CBT; others are fine. What's up?

Author
c3k
Junior Member (73 reputation)Junior Member (73 reputation)Junior Member (73 reputation)Junior Member (73 reputation)Junior Member (73 reputation)Junior Member (73 reputation)Junior Member (73 reputation)Junior Member (73 reputation)Junior Member (73 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I'm trying to sort this out. I've got 5 physical drives in this rig. 2 of them are important enough to me to backup to a 3rd drive. The other two are...meh.
The Changed Block Tracker seems to be something that helps Macrium work better, faster, and more efficiently. See https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/Macrium+Changed+Block+Tracker

My understanding is that it can be enabled by selecting "​actions" and then "enable CBT" for each drive. That puts a shadowed icon up. AFTER the first Macrium backup of that drive, then the CBT goes active and the icon goes from grey (shadowed) to blue.

Here's my drive image. ​

The two drives I have backing up (and they've both already done an initial, full, backup and a second, incremental, backup) are disk 1 and disk 5. Disk 5 is the OS disk. Disk 1 is the Data disk.
Disk 5 has 3 active partitions. The green square is the C partition. CBT is active and working. The two red squares are on the partitions for the boot table (GPT) and the windows recovery partition. They get imaged by Macrium, so why no CBT?
Disk 2 is the Data disk. It has been treated just like disk 5. Yet, the red square shows that CBT has not "gone live". Why not?
Disk 1 is being used for stuff I don't need to backup, so the red square shows that I've never selected CBT. That's as expected.
Disk 3​ is a spare (at the moment) and is blank. Yet, CBT is ready to go. (Orange square.) That's fine.
Disk 4 ​is my backup disk, so I've enabled Image Guardian (blue circle). That's fine.

TLDR; Disk two shows​ that CBT has not activated even after a Full and an Incremental backup. That seems wrong. Disk 5 shows two partitions (boot and recovery) which do not have CBT implemented. I -assume- CBT only works by using the OS, therefore these two partitions are not "eligible" for CBT?

Thanks,
Ken​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Edited because I am talking about DISK 2...my "Data Disk".​​
Edited 2 March 2018 4:16 PM by c3k
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)
Group: Administrators
c3k - 2 March 2018 2:36 PM
I'm trying to sort this out. I've got 5 physical drives in this rig. 2 of them are important enough to me to backup to a 3rd drive. The other two are...meh.
The Changed Block Tracker seems to be something that helps Macrium work better, faster, and more efficiently. See https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/Macrium+Changed+Block+Tracker

My understanding is that it can be enabled by selecting "actions" and then "enable CBT" for each drive. That puts a shadowed icon up. AFTER the first Macrium backup of that drive, then the CBT goes active and the icon goes from grey (shadowed) to blue.

Here's my drive image.

The two drives I have backing up (and they've both already done an initial, full, backup and a second, incremental, backup) are disk 1 and disk 5. Disk 5 is the OS disk. Disk 1 is the Data disk.
Disk 5 has 3 active partitions. The green square is the C partition. CBT is active and working. The two red squares are on the partitions for the boot table (GPT) and the windows recovery partition. They get imaged by Macrium, so why no CBT?
Disk 1 is the Data disk. It has been treated just like disk 5. Yet, the red square shows that CBT has not "gone live". Why not?
Disk 2 is being used for stuff I don't need to backup, so the red square shows that I've never selected CBT. That's as expected.
Disk 3 is a spare (at the moment) and is blank. Yet, CBT is ready to go. (Orange square.) That's fine.
Disk 4 is my backup disk, so I've enabled Image Guardian (blue circle). That's fine.

TLDR; Disk one shows that CBT has not activated even after a Full and an Incremental backup. That seems wrong. Disk 5 shows two partitions (boot and recovery) which do not have CBT implemented. I -assume- CBT only works by using the OS, therefore these two partitions are not "eligible" for CBT?

Thanks,
Ken

Hi Ken

CBT is only active on NTFS drives with a drive letter. The drives you are concerned about are static and rarely change so there's no benefit anyway. 

Disk one shows that CBT has not activated even after a Full and an Incremental backup.

Has your PC rebooted since the last backup?

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Edited 2 March 2018 3:13 PM by Nick
c3k
c3k
Junior Member (73 reputation)Junior Member (73 reputation)Junior Member (73 reputation)Junior Member (73 reputation)Junior Member (73 reputation)Junior Member (73 reputation)Junior Member (73 reputation)Junior Member (73 reputation)Junior Member (73 reputation)
Nick - 2 March 2018 3:10 PM

Hi Ken

CBT is only active on NTFS drives with a drive letter. The drives you are concerned about are static and rarely change so there's no benefit anyway. 

Nick,
Thanks...but.
Why does disk 2 not show CBT in blue (active)?​​​

Edited because I'm trying to focus on DISK 2, my "Data Disk". I mistakenly referred to it as Disk 1. Sorry.​​
Edited 2 March 2018 4:17 PM by c3k
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)
Group: Administrators
c3k - 2 March 2018 3:13 PM
Nick - 2 March 2018 3:10 PM
c3k - 2 March 2018 2:36 PM

My understanding is that it can be enabled by selecting "actions" and then "enable CBT" for each drive. That puts a shadowed icon up. AFTER the first Macrium backup of that drive, then the CBT goes active and the icon goes from grey (shadowed) to blue.

Here's my drive image.

Disk 1 is the Data disk. It has been treated just like disk 5. Yet, the red square shows that CBT has not "gone live". Why not?
Disk 2 is being used for stuff I don't need to backup, so the red square shows that I've never selected CBT. That's as expected.
Disk 3 is a spare (at the moment) and is blank. Yet, CBT is ready to go. (Orange square.) That's fine.
Disk 4 is my backup disk, so I've enabled Image Guardian (blue circle). That's fine.

TLDR; Disk one shows that CBT has not activated even after a Full and an Incremental backup. That seems wrong. Disk 5 shows two partitions (boot and recovery) which do not have CBT implemented. I -assume- CBT only works by using the OS, therefore these two partitions are not "eligible" for CBT?

Thanks,
Ken

Hi Ken

Nick,
Thanks...but.
Why does disk 1 not show CBT in blue (active)?

Has your PC rebooted since the last backup of that drive?

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Edited 2 March 2018 3:14 PM by Nick
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)
Based on the KB article, CBT should work on any NTFS volume.  I haven't tinkered with it much though, and I haven't had any problems like this in my limited experience, so I don't have any immediate suggestions, but I do know there's a CBT utility and way to dump logs, so chances are this will be solved quickly once someone who knows how to help you with that arrives.

(EDIT: Never mind!)

Edited 2 March 2018 3:20 PM by jphughan
c3k
c3k
Nick - 2 March 2018 3:14 PM

...standby.​
c3k
c3k
Nick - 2 March 2018 3:14 PM

Okay.
Reboot.
Open Macrium and disk 2​ still had the grey man.
Run the backup definition file (incremental). It took 45 seconds. (Gotta do be better. C'mon. Wink ) The man was still grey.

He began taunting me.
"I'm still grey,
​I'm still grey
I'm gonna be this way, every day!
I won't turn blue,
Not for you,
'cause you don't know what to do."​

Quite infuriating, right?

I tried to quash him...by rebooting a SECOND time. Opened Macrium. The grey man remained. With a smug look.

Ken​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Edited to clarify that I'm discussing Disk 2, my "Data Disk", not disk 1.​​
Edited 2 March 2018 4:22 PM by c3k
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)
The question about a reboot wasn't a diagnostic measure.  The CBT icon only turns blue after you've run your first image backup of that partition (F&F backups don't count) since having booted Windows, and then it only STAYS blue until you reboot, at which point all CBT icons will be gray again until another image backup of that partition is performed.  CBT only accelerates image backups of a given partition from the second backup within a given Windows session onward because it tracks changes that have occurred since the previous backup in that Windows session -- which of course means the first backup can't use it because there wasn't a previous backup in that session.

EDIT: But assuming you're using image backups, evidently you've still not getting the blue icon after a backup....

Edited 2 March 2018 3:44 PM by jphughan
c3k
c3k
Does it matter that the drive in question does not have an initial 128MB primary partition? (That seems to be normal with a lot of my other drives. In fact, all of the non-OS drives which are GPT. The only exceptions are on the machine in question, pictured above. It has two disks, both GPT, without the 128MB partitions.)

Something's acting differently between two computers, which are otherwise set up as identically as possible.

​​​​
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
I doubt it, although I did notice the lack of a 128MB partition on those disks, and even your GPT Disk 5 doesn't have the 16MB MSR partition that normally exists immediately after the FAT32 EFI partition on GPT disks that host a Windows OS.  I assumed that the lack of those partitions was the result of your having performed an in-place conversion from MBR.  But since you've enjoyed tinkering lately, Disk 5 would be easy enough to create since you've got a chunk of unallocated space there.  You would just temporarily disable the SSD over-provision mechanism that I assume is consuming that space, then go into diskpart, select that disk (will probably be Disk 4 there since diskpart starts its numbering at 0), and then run "create partition msr", and then you'd be done.  For the other GPT disks, you can't easily open up a gap at the beginning of the disk, so if you wanted to fix those, your best bet would probably be to back up their current contents, use the diskpart "clean" command to wipe them, then run the "convert gpt" command, which will convert them from the default MBR over to GPT and create the 128MB unallocated space automatically.  Then you'd just restore your backup onto the remainder of the disk.

Edited 2 March 2018 4:33 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...