USB PE 10 Error

Author
CraigS26
Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
What are the proper "Update Steps" for a USB PE 10 when a Macrium Update recommends that.
I had used Sarah Pinegar's 5/15 Macrium KB article to setup the USB -- and have used it easily prior.
I twice got "Boot Mgr Missing" this time ... guessing it's because you can't Delete the old USB PE data & (repeat) "Create Rescue Media" as I did.
I presumed her steps were like formatting the USB once for NTFS and were "protected".
What's the right way?  
Also, in the open App's Other Tasks do you also Re-Do the "Add Recovery Boot Menu Option" when USB/CD PE tools are updated, OR does the v7 Update do THAT for me?
As in the past RBM did the Recovery job but I understand working external tools are crucial when RBM hiccups.

Many Thanks as always.

Macrium V7.1 - i5 8G - WIN 7-64 Hm Prem - Firefox / IE11 - ESET ESS - MBAM v3 - SuperAS Pro - Diskeeper Pro - EPIM Mail - Secunia PSI 3 - NO Java - Flash

CraigS26
CraigS26
Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)
I started from scratch formatting the USB for PE 10 as I always have and it gave the Same Error [ Boot Mgr Missing - Ctrl Alt Del ].
Note that Sarah Pinegar's format phrase [  format FS=ntfs Label="Macrium WinPE" QUICK ] ... Does NOT work for me.
I have ALWAYS used / succeeded with [ format FS=ntfs Label=QUICK ].

Never had a problem til this v7.1.2917  2/27/18 Update.
Is there ANY Chance something is wrong in the v7 Update that affects the USB PE update?

Macrium V7.1 - i5 8G - WIN 7-64 Hm Prem - Firefox / IE11 - ESET ESS - MBAM v3 - SuperAS Pro - Diskeeper Pro - EPIM Mail - Secunia PSI 3 - NO Java - Flash

jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)
In general you want to use FAT32 rather than NTFS because the latter can't be used for UEFI boot mode on most systems; NTFS support is optional on UEFI and not widely implemented, whereas FAT32 is mandatory.  However, Windows will only format partitions up to 32GB as FAT32, so ideally make sure your flash drive is no larger than that, otherwise you'd have to manually specify a smaller partition size or find a third-party FAT32 format utility to format an entire larger partition with that file system.  If however you only need Legacy BIOS boot support, then NTFS does normally work.  Make sure your partition is set to active if you haven't already, since that's required for Legacy BIOS booting.  If it's still not working, have you tried another flash drive?  Some flash drives apparently don't work well as boot devices, at least on some systems.

As for those two format commands you posted, both should work (I just successfully tested both on my own flash drive exactly as you wrote them), but note that those two commands do completely different things.  The first one performs a quick format and sets the volume label to "Macrium WinPE".  The latter performs a standard long format and sets the volume label to "Quick".  When you say the first one doesn't work, what exactly happens when you try it?  I personally omit the label parameter entirely there just for simplicity and just set it in Windows afterward if desired.

If you want to perform a manual flash drive build, these are the diskpart commands I use:
diskpart
list disk
select disk X (replace X with the appropriate disk number)
clean
create partition primary
format fs=fat32 quick
active
assign

Try that if you haven't already.

Edited 2 March 2018 3:52 AM by jphughan
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)
Sorry, just realized I forgot to answer your first question above.  When a Rescue Media update is recommended, simply step through the Create Rescue Media wizard after having updated Reflect.  On the (normally) final step called "Burn Rescue Media", if there's been a Reflect or WinPE update since the last time you built Rescue Media, within a few seconds you should see a popup dialog prompting you to update your PE files.  If so, click Continue.  If you don't see that, click the Rebuild button that's always available on the Burn Rescue Media anyway and you'll end up in the same place.  Either way, then click Next, wait for the rebuild to complete, and then you'll be returned to the Burn Rescue Media step, where you can create your desired type of media.

Edited 2 March 2018 3:35 AM by jphughan
CraigS26
CraigS26
Thanks for the Reply and information.
I ran "Create Rescue Media" a 3rd time with the pen drive and it DID Work, getting me to "Verify" a Selected Full Image, which I started.
I've had some misconceptions about what happens on the pen drive each time there is a PE update but I think I understand now.
Will test the truth of that at the next PE update.
Thanks as always!

jphughan
jphughan
I just wrote a post in another thread about how the PE update process works, so part of this is copied from there.  If you look under C:\Boot\Macrium\WA[nn]KFiles\media ("nn" is based on the PE version you built with), you will find the files that get copied to your Rescue Media (and that are also used for the boot menu recovery option if you enable that.)  If you further drill into the Sources folder, you'll see a file called "Boot.wim" that represents about 90% of the entire Rescue Media build by size. That file contains your chosen WinPE OS, the Reflect application files, another copy of the drivers that exist in your Drivers folder because certain drivers need to be baked into the WIM file in some boot scenarios, and BitLocker auto-unlock files if applicable. The Rebuild operation creates a new Boot.wim file, which is why it has to be run after you update Reflect, or switch to a different WinPE version, or add a new BitLocker drive that you want auto-unlocked, etc. In some cases it may also need to be run after adding new drivers, since the regular Rescue Media wizard without a rebuild operation just copies new drivers into your Drivers folder, whereas the Rebuild operation additionally bakes them into the WIM file.  But the regular "Burn Rescue Media" step of the wizard just copies the Rescue Media files that already exist at the aforementioned path onto the device you specify.  When the target is a USB device and you check the BIOS/UEFI multi-boot option, the target partition must be FAT32, otherwise Reflect will allow copying to an NTFS partition.  Either way, it will also mark the partition as active if it wasn't already.

CraigS26
CraigS26
My first visit ever to C:\Boot --- Boot.wim is 242 MB so the point ( "Boot.wim" that represents about 90% of the entire Rescue Media build by size) is well taken.

http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Preparing+a+USB+stick+for+Windows+PE

If possible clarify this and I'll leave you alone: If I insert a just-bought USB pen drive into my computer (AFTER a v7 Update) to make a PE Rescue tool does the "Create Rescue Media" Wizard perform the same [diskpart] steps you and Sarah Pinegar detail (BTW, her last 2 steps are Exit/Exit (vs) your Active/Assign) - OR - do you do those diskpart steps Once to prepare the drive for first PE data entry via the Wizard and later updates? Her KB article title [ Preparing a USB stick for Windows PE ] makes an amateur think it's a separate act so the Wizard can then do ITS thing initially and at each update, hence my confusion. She doesn't speak of the Wizard but there's no way to know the scope of her instruction or the full scope of the Wizard functions.
All the Best!

Edited 2 March 2018 12:14 PM by CraigS26
jphughan
jphughan
The "active" command is listed in that manual guide, just at an earlier location.  The only requirement is that it occur after you create the partition; it doesn't matter precisely where after that action.  The "assign" command just assigns a drive letter, but maybe that happens during the wizard later?  I don't think the wizard requires that the flash drive have a drive letter beforehand, but I'm used to being able to see my newly prepped flash drives in Windows Explorer, so it's just force of habit.  The pair of exit commands are pretty obvious (one for diskpart, one for Command Prompt), so I didn't bother writing them

The problem with a just-bought USB drive is that not all flash drives are set up the same way out of the box, but:

- Most flash drives 32GB or smaller arrive pre-formatted for FAT32, in which case Reflect just copies files onto it and marks the partition as active if needed.

- If it was pre-formatted NTFS, the wizard will do the same UNLESS you choose that you want a multi-boot BIOS/UEFI drive, in which case it will fail because it can't achieve multi-boot on NTFS and (currently) Reflect only supports copying files to the first partition of the flash drive, so it won't try to create a second FAT32 partition.  Windows until Win10 1703 only allowed creating one partition on a flash drive and would only mount the first one even if others existed.  That limitation no longer exists, but Reflect does not take advantage of this new capability.  Also note that if you do this manually, additional partitions will not be visible when you connect that flash drive to systems running older versions of Windows.

- If it was pre-formatted exFAT, it will fail because exFAT to my knowledge can't be used to boot BIOS or UEFI systems, and once again Reflect doesn't try to work with additional partitions.  exFAT is getting more popular as an out-of-box option especially for higher capacity flash drives because it is the only file system that is read/write on Windows, Mac, and Linux AND supports files larger than 4GB.

- If the flash drive has no partitions at all, the wizard will automatically create a FAT32 partition and mark it as active.

Edited 2 March 2018 3:33 PM by jphughan
CraigS26
CraigS26
We can put this one to bed. Ready for the next update.
Thanks again for your explanations. Learned a lot.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...